Discuss Replacing a BS3036 db to a new 17th Edition Dual RCD Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stejones4321

Hi There,

Im new to this forum and apologise if i sound abit dumb but would really appreciate someones help. I am a nearly qualified electrician but lack experience. I wish to install a new consumer unit in my friends shop as its currently using an old bs3036 type that someone had fitted as a temporary measure previously. Is it a case of taking the old one off and replacing it or is there more to it.

The shop that my friend had taken over has only one lighting circuit in it. Everything else has been stripped out.

Would appreciate a little advice.

Many Thanks

Steve

Apologies about this being in the wrong section

I can see where this one could go. GASP! Beat you to it MJD mate.

A couple of things here. Yes, there's a little more to it than that AND if you're nearly qualified this really is something you should know.

Sits back and waits for the comments on this thread. . . . .

I completely agree its something i should know but i do lack the experience. Maybe i should stay back and get a fully qualified person on the job.

what would be ideal is to get a fully qualified spark in who is willing to let you assist. then you can see what testing needs doing, ask questions, learn.

If your not sure what to do you obviously not good enough to change it. I suggest you get someone who knows. You could kill your self.

Hi There,

Im new to this forum and apologise if i sound abit dumb but would really appreciate someones help. I am a nearly qualified electrician but lack experience. I wish to install a new consumer unit in my friends shop as its currently using an old bs3036 type that someone had fitted as a temporary measure previously. Is it a case of taking the old one off and replacing it or is there more to it.

The shop that my friend had taken over has only one lighting circuit in it. Everything else has been stripped out.

Would appreciate a little advice.

Many Thanks

Steve

Apologies about this being in the wrong section

One Circuit on a duel board.. This could be interesting..

He'll of been on a full time 2330 course probably instead of an apprentership. Don't think they'll show you how to change CU/DB's on them. They make take you through it in a classroom on paper, but what bloody good is that.

Tele's advice is the best mate, get a spark in and get him to show you - be massivley benefitial in the future for you.

I feel for you matey boy, they talk people through god only knows what on here who has no electrical knowledge whatsoever and I mean NONE (just spend some time reading a few posts) and they're giving you a hard time. The sparks who have been teaching you are the one's who should be getting a hard time. Ask one of them at work to assist you and talk you through it step by step. You can always get your mate to bung them a few quid, by the way once you start doing this for friends / mates they'll all come out of the woodwork. If you can't be asked to do it don't let them talk you into it, tell them you've already got a job Mon - Fri or whatever lol

haven,t they taught you how to install a c/u at college?
I have installed many in college but never replaced and old fuse board for a new c/u. It in a very old shop so was unsure if the main earth was adequate etc..

All solved now. Got a local spark coming first thing.

I feel for you matey boy, they talk people through god only knows what on here who has no electrical knowledge whatsoever and I mean NONE (just spend some time reading a few posts) and they're giving you a hard time. The sparks who have been teaching you are the one's who should be getting a hard time. Ask one of them at work to assist you and talk you through it step by step. You can always get your mate to bung them a few quid, by the way once you start doing this for friends / mates they'll all come out of the woodwork. If you can't be asked to do it don't let them talk you into it, tell them you've already got a job Mon - Fri or whatever lol
Appreciate that reply. I was expecting abit of stick. Got to start somewhere. Ill learn one day.

He'll of been on a full time 2330 course probably instead of an apprentership. Don't think they'll show you how to change CU/DB's on them. They make take you through it in a classroom on paper, but what bloody good is that.

Tele's advice is the best mate, get a spark in and get him to show you - be massivley benefitial in the future for you.
Youve hit the nail on the head. Sat in a classroom everyday. An apprenticeship is so hard to come by though but would be massively beneficial if i found one. Maybe i could offer to work for free a couple of days a week for someone. try get a little experience.

I feel you should have said to him get your company you work for or a company who has all the correct testing methods in place, its an easy job to someone who has done it before, but can also turn into a nightmare if the RCD detects any issues(in your perspective im sure the spark you get should test before energising hehe :) ), definetly get a good spark who can help you, would your friend be happy if electrics dont work now, but they did before ROFL...im sure he would moan at you.

Reply to Replacing a BS3036 db to a new 17th Edition Dual RCD Consumer Unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net