Discuss Replacing a Fire Alarm MCP (manual call point) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been tasked (as island resident hotel handy-man - for my sins) to replace a Emergi-lite MCP (no other details availabe) with aKAC 'MCP1' but the wiring is less than obvious, even with the MCP1's wiring leaflet. I have attached pics of each unit's innards as well as the relevant bit of the MCP1's insteuctons leaflet below. Any advice very welcome.

MW
Isle of Colonsay
Argyll

Attachments

• KAC MCP1 call point wiring.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 39
  • KAC MCP1 hotel fire.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5783.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 36
connect wires from unit into 1 and 4. if you have a multimeter, the wires shoud read approx. 70 ohms.

Hi All,

I have been tasked (as island resident hotel handy-man - for my sins) to replace a Emergi-lite MCP (no other details availabe) with aKAC 'MCP1' but the wiring is less than obvious, even with the MCP1's wiring leaflet. I have attached pics of each unit's innards as well as the relevant bit of the MCP1's insteuctons leaflet below. Any advice very welcome.

MW
Isle of Colonsay
Argyll
hi
for future ref it doesn't matter as long as your positives and negatives are together you could have put your negs in 3 and 4 and your pos in 1 and 2 its just a switch with a 470 in it it's not polarity sensitive

Although you have had many suggestions, and i understand you may be the only competent person on the island... but would you working on this system invalidate any insurances the hotel owner may have if there was to be an incident.

Although you have had many suggestions, and i understand you may be the only competent person on the island... but would you working on this system invalidate any insurances the hotel owner may have if there was to be an incident.
Maybe, but not detecting a fire in the first place might be a bit more important when trying to explain to guests’ relatives why they were burned alive whilst waiting months for a ‘qualified engineer’ to get here - assuming one was even prepared to drive 2 hours to Oban, sit on a ferry for 2.5 hours (each way) AND spend at least a night in the (not inexpensive) hotel all to connect just 4 wires. Call me old fashioned if you will…

I don't work on fire alarms so this may be a daft question, but shouldn't the EOL resistor be at the end of the line? How does the panel detect an o/c on the outgoing wiring connected after that MCP? Only routine call point testing would show a fault, which could result in there being non-functioning call points when they are actually needed?

Last edited:
I don't work on fire alarms so this may be a daft question, but shouldn't the EOL resistor be at the end of the line? How does the panel detect an o/c on the outgoing wiring connected after that MCP? Only routine call point testing would show a fault, which could result in there being non-functioning call points when they are actually needed?
Sorry, just realised that it's not an EOL, it's in series with the switch, so I guess it's there so the panel doesn't see a short. Good job I don't touch fire alarms. :)

Reply to Replacing a Fire Alarm MCP (manual call point) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock