Discuss Replacing main isolator with RCD across whole board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Diode

I'm doing pir's at the moment and often come across CU's with MCB's but no RCD protection. I'm wondering what views people have on removing the main isolators and fitting RCD's in their place to protect all circuits. I understand the inconvenience implications but is it ok to simply replace?

If you are doing pir's / eicr's then why would you need to replace anything so long as it complies to the edition of the regs to which it was installed.

If you got the remedials and the customer specifically wanted RCD protection, then you'd have to install to the current edition of BS7671. This would mean you would need to go down the RCBO or dual RCD route! It wouldn't comply if you just changed the switch for an RCD.

true, but it's making the installation safer. this could be noted as a departure from BS7671. if i thought there was merit in doing it, i'd not hesitate.

Substitute that for a few extra sockets in the kitchen, and there's your answer.

I kind of see your point but then again I don't.
Servicing is routine maintainence, not alterations.

I have learned a bit of mechanicing from my grandad (diesel fitter) and have the full manufacturers workshop manual. I have taken measures to ensure I know and understand what I'm doing before I start, please don't compare me to some DIY numpty who isn't fit to sweep the workshop floor.

Pir's should be assessed on current regulations not previous.

Very true it should be assessed to the current edition. What has to be understood is if an installation was installed to a previous version and still complies to that previous version then only C3's should be recorded for non compliance to the current edition. There is no requirement whatsoever to upgrade serviceable installations to the current edition.

Funny how people are still having their cars serviced at £500 a pop, yet we're having these discussions about the heart of a property....

Yea but you cannot drive a new consumer unit pass the guy next door to p!ss him off or spend £40-£50 a month getting it valeted and of course you need to spend £500 for its service so you can maintain the warranty and get what you think is a good trade in thinking I am glad (like my guy next door) took a week off to clean every part of the motor to get a good trade in in not realising it made no difference as the garage gives you £3k and punt it off to the auctions to get £4k .

Of course its handy because when one of your family gets an electric shock you can drive them to the hospital in your new shiny motor and at the same time you are praying they will not throw up on your nice upholstary mmm funny old world is it not

Been asked to take over the install on a new fish n chip shop because the owner had a falling out with his former "electrician" I've told the guy it all has to be ripped out and started again as currently it's potentially dangerous. He said he's going for a second opinion.

The guy has spent thousands on his new chippy but three tenths of bugger all getting some clown to throw a few cables about, isn't prepared to take advice because it'll cost him. Muppet drives a BMW.

Been asked to take over the install on a new fish n chip shop because the owner had a falling out with his former "electrician" I've told the guy it all has to be ripped out and started again as currently it's potentially dangerous. He said he's going for a second opinion.

The guy has spent thousands on his new chippy but three tenths of bugger all getting some clown to throw a few cables about, isn't prepared to take advice because it'll cost him. Muppet drives a BMW.

I'm sure he'll find someone with a screwdriver to patch it up and tell him it's all wonderful for a few quid... You can be the bad guy who wanted to do it "properly" then trev. ;)
Oh, and if he does ask you to do the work, make sure you get something up-front mate.

Reply to Replacing main isolator with RCD across whole board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net