Discuss Room Thermostat comes on and off too regulary in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry I can't advise on wireless stats as I have never fitted one and never will.

By its very nature it's battery powered and that's just something else you have to remember to replace.

Life is complicated enough as it is without having to remember to change batteries every five minutes so it's hard wired stats every time for me.
bloody dinosaur.

Honeywell DT92E or Honeywell Y6630D. Go in to plumb centre and have a look at their own brand range as normally made by Honeywell but are half the price, same thermostat with a different label.

bloody dinosaur.

Lol , Bit me on the bum tho, Car battery went flat passenger side close to the garage wall. you have to take an awkward cover off the door handle to get to the hidden key hole, there isn't one on the drivers side or any other door.

This would also be the case if the key fobe went flat.

i use to think it was a cold hallway but since putting a wall thermometer the temperature doesnt drop within an hour, not sure if the wall thermometer is accurate enough. There are no draughts from the front door. The stat is fixed above the "under the stairs" cupboard which has a draught, however for the timebeing i have taped up the door so no draught comes through. the stat is also located approx 1m from a 70x70 rad with no trv. There is also smaller rad next to the front door which is about 3m away.

If the cycling is definately caused by the room thermostat, it's because the hallway is heating up too quickly and isn't reaching an equilibrium with heat gain vs heat loss. Have you tried isolating the radiator nearest to the room thermostat as you say there are two radiators in the hallway? Alternatively, turn the thermostat up to it's highest setting and see if the boiler still cycles as frequently. If it does, it's not the room thermostat causing the cycling.

The other reason could be that the boiler is shutting down on over temperature. If all of the other radiators in the house have thermostatic radiator valves (TRV's), it may be that there is insufficient heat loss from the one non TRV radiator for the boiler return to be cool enough, so the boiler switches itself off until the water cools down through heat loss. If this is the case, reduce the boiler flow temperature.

If the cycling is definately caused by the room thermostat, it's because the hallway is heating up too quickly and isn't reaching an equilibrium with heat gain vs heat loss. Have you tried isolating the radiator nearest to the room thermostat as you say there are two radiators in the hallway? Alternatively, turn the thermostat up to it's highest setting and see if the boiler still cycles as frequently. If it does, it's not the room thermostat causing the cycling.

The other reason could be that the boiler is shutting down on over temperature. If all of the other radiators in the house have thermostatic radiator valves (TRV's), it may be that there is insufficient heat loss from the one non TRV radiator for the boiler return to be cool enough, so the boiler switches itself off until the water cools down through heat loss. If this is the case, reduce the boiler flow temperature.

With the main rad in the hallway switched off the hallway will never reach tempature as the other one is way to small, on external wall and below a single glazed window. I did try putting the trv back on the main hall rad and it didnt make much difference.

there are 3 rads that dont have trv on them (2 hallway and 1 large in the downstairs backroom) so should have cool water coming back. I havent noticed the boiler switching off while heat is still being demanded, other than when the HW is doing its heating

Reply to Room Thermostat comes on and off too regulary in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net