Discuss Running new circuit to AC unit, please review my plan. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks, I did a bunch of digging and came to the same conclusion. The #10 is right on the edge considering ambient temperature and proximity to the roof surface. The nec can be confusing, refer to such and such, which refers you to such and such and so on.

According to emt and liquidtight fill charts I could put the 3 required #8 wires in 1/2" conduit. Did I miss something?

Not a top fed panel, going to tape over the feeds to the main breaker before getting to work in there.

During my research, it also seems that I have to use wire rated for wet locations, even though it is in conduit. Thwn or thwn-2? I could swear we were using thhn when I was doing solar installation back in the day.

You are saying the wire has to be continuous or the conduit type? Also, I was under the impression that romex was prohibited on such a circumstance.
Thanks, I did a bunch of digging and came to the same conclusion. The #10 is right on the edge considering ambient temperature and proximity to the roof surface. The nec can be confusing, refer to such and such, which refers you to such and such and so on.

According to emt and liquidtight fill charts I could put the 3 required #8 wires in 1/2" conduit. Did I miss something?

Not a top fed panel, going to tape over the feeds to the main breaker before getting to work in there.

During my research, it also seems that I have to use wire rated for wet locations, even though it is in conduit. Thwn or thwn-2? I could swear we were using thhn when I was doing solar installation back in the day.

You are saying the wire has to be continuous or the conduit type? Also, I was under the impression that romex was prohibited on such a circumstance.
If it’s a home you are working on then you can use romex but since you are putting it in pipe and using THHN or THWN is designed for wet locations. Yes you can use 1/2 pipe but it would be a hard pull. My advice is to use 3/4 pipe and the wire can be spliced but the raceway has to be continuous.

Reply to Running new circuit to AC unit, please review my plan. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net