Discuss Sanity check on plan for CU replacement (MCB to RCBO AFDD) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks! So what would be my other high quality/reliable options if I were to just stick to RCBOs and given that Hager ones are single pole?

Personally I have used contactum for domestic work since I was an apprentice and have not had any major issues with them.

Is there a particular reason you need double pole protection? There's not normally any need for it in the average UK installation.

Thanks! So what would be my other high quality/reliable options if I were to just stick to RCBOs and given that Hager ones are single pole?
For most purposes the single pole switching RCBO are fine, it is only specific cases like EV charges that need double pole and for that you can fit a MCB and separate RCD.

You mentioned a lack of space, some (like Hager) do double-row CU enclosures and that might help if you are short of width but have height to spare.

Personally I would go with the main stream brands (Hager, Schneider, Wylex, Crabtree, etc) and avoid the own-brand ones (Proteus, Axiom, etc).

Is there a particular reason you need double pole protection?
Ahh, there is a couple of posts earlier on in this thread where people recommended getting double pole so was just trying to follow the advice.

For most purposes the single pole switching RCBO are fine, it is only specific cases like EV charges that need double pole and for that you can fit a MCB and separate RCD.
I have plans to install an EV charger at some point in the future, in this case, what you suggest makes sense but could also save a module space here and go with their AFDD as it's already DP?

You mentioned a lack of space, some (like Hager) do double-row CU enclosures and that might help if you are short of width but have height to spare.
Good point! I saw the Hager double-row CU but didn't think much of it. These might make things less of a hassle to install given the space.

Personally I would go with the main stream brands (Hager, Schneider, Wylex, Crabtree, etc) and avoid the own-brand ones (Proteus, Axiom, etc).
Definitely, I'm happy to pay a bit extra for main stream brands with higher quality hence why I want to make sure if I'm getting the work done, the electrician is not just using any random brand.

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason you need double pole protection? There's not normally any need for it in the average UK installation.
Ahh, there is a couple of posts earlier on in this thread where people recommended getting double pole so was just trying to follow the advice.
Single Pole, Single Pole Switched Neutral, and Double Pole are all different things. Hager RCBO's are Single Pole.
I was recommending Single Pole Switched Neutral as I favour devices the isolate the N. It makes it possible to ‘contain’ neutral-earth faults and any future diagnostics are so much easier.

Regarding choice, you need to talk to your electrician as different sparks have accounts at different wholesalers and can get different brands at good prices. We all have things we are used to and prefer to fit too.

Reply to Sanity check on plan for CU replacement (MCB to RCBO AFDD) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net