Discuss Scame weatherproof switch sticking on in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkeyelectric

Hi all, not been on here for a while but ive had a strange problem today and wondered if anyone else has had it, i wired in a scame weatherproof switch, one switch controls a Sodium floodlight and the other a metal halide and a few fluorescents, i wired the led indicator lights one side to live and the other to switched live as i've done a hundred times before but when left for a while and you switch the lights on, they wont switch back off, its as if the switches are being magnetically held on, without the indicators connected they work fine no matter how long they're left, its a very strange one and i could do with finding out how to rectify it as you cant see where the switch is in the dark without them,cheers

when you say the led is wired live to switch live i wonder if current is passing through the LED from live to the switch live effectively shunting the switch. A simple check with test lamp will prove, Could you get a neutral to the switch to wire the LED live to neutral???

I think that is what is happening too, it got too dark and the guy was going out so i'll call back there tomorrow to check, getting a neutral there wouldnt be too much hardship just a length of 4core swa but i doubt the customer will bother with it to be honest, it switches off and on and doesnt electrocute him like the last switch so he's happy:lol:, its just odd because i've wired them like this before because of there being no neutral and they've been fine albeit that was masterseal and they're neons as opposed to led's , these scame switches are fairly new to me, my supplier got them in recently so i thought i'd try a few

I've just been called back to this same job because the switch stuck on again last night , I replaced it with another Scame switch and it done the same thing, so I then replaced it with a gewiss one I've had on the van for a while and it's fine now, switches off and on and doesn't do anything untoward. Has anyone else had this happen? I really am stumped as to what caused it on the Scame switches and not the other one

sounds like it's got to be the LED indicators causing the problem. why not get in touch with scame and explain the problem. they might have a solution.

Well that's the thing, I thought it was those causing it but its doing it without them connected, I've never had it happen before, it must just be the switch but why I don't know:-(

I had two Scame 2G sockets, both of which broke after less than a month of use. On top of that, each outlet had independent terminals meaning I had to link between the two! I haven't used again. I run with MK or Gewiss now.

Reply to Scame weatherproof switch sticking on in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net