Discuss Schuco mounting clip found after bad weather-should I be worried? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My system was installed nearly 5 years ago and so far trouble free.

schuco.jpg

Now as we all know there has been some nasty weather recently in the UK and yesterday
I found a Schuco mounting clip on the patio....eek

schuco1.jpg

I have checked as best I can with some binoculars and all the ajoining panels seem to have four clips in place apart from the single panel. All end panels are in place with two clips per panel edge.
My feeling is that my original installer may have dropped one of these fixings under the panels only now has it decided to fall off the roof.

No point in contacting the original installer as they went out of business (well closed and opened up again under a slightly different name).

If you can see 4 clips on each panel (including the single one) 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side then you should be OK.

It is a sure bet in that case that the installers dropped one under the panels and couldn't easily reach it, so just got another out of the van and forgot or coudln't be bothered to fish it out later.

Hello,

I've just found the exact same thing in my gutter. Unfortunately it has some off my panels.

My problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn it in order to put it back on.

clip-screw_zpsnoj0anyy.jpg

clip-side_zpslsuxqt5a.jpg

Do I need a special tool? Do I need to buy a new one?

Hoping to get it fixed before the winds arrive.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Thanks,

An allen key didn't budge it.
In the end I used a couple of cable ties to secure it in place.
I was then cleaning the panels and another one popped off so that got the same treatment.
I've checked all the others but they must have been up there loose for 4 years.

I would be very worried about clips popping off, I would recommend you get a solar installer to check all of the clips to ensure they are properly tightened and that the panels are secure. Loose panels are dangerous.

Reply to Schuco mounting clip found after bad weather-should I be worried? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net