Discuss Scrap metal weigh in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BlueToBits

I apologise if this has already been posted.
Just to let anyone know who may not have heard, from December 4th 2012 it will be illegal for scrap metal merchants to pay cash for scrap metal. They can however pay cheque or bank transfer to a named account holder.
Home Office releases scrap metal cash ban guidance | To be implemented 3 December | Resource magazine

It may a good time to play the market. Some may say that the price will be higher after the 4th and it may drop as the deadline approaches and everyone weighs in, others may say that the demand will increase as merchants want to cash themselves in before their payments become traceable, or so that they can get cash themselves by re-selling as much as they can before the deadline.

Today's price is around the highest for the year at £4.10 per kilo for bright copper wire.

Scrap Metal Prices 2012 Manchester Scrap Yard - Greengate Metals Scrap Yard Manchester & Oldham

what Will end up happening is that scrap merchants will say "that's all you're getting take it or leave it, all the new paperwork n that " and the tax man will be asking for about 60% of your money, if you're VAT registered then he'll want that as well, and if you're not then he will want to force you over the threshold using the tallies from selling your own already bought and paid for with tax already paid scrap ends and cut offs ......then you will be forced to pay VAT on everything you have done in the last 12 months or so which could leave you many thousands out of pocket or in assumed and made up "debt" to the tax....you won't get to do a multinational coffee chain trick there, feet won't touch the floor......the next thing will be the Plod pulling you in outside the scrap yard and asking for your waste handlers and waste transport licence, and the usual jobsworths in office at councils and environment offices going into a frenzy wanting waste transfer licences, storage licences, handling licences, will be getting pulled over all the time if you are known to sell scrap....vosa will probably get involved along with the plod and councils...
In the end there will be skips for you to put your scrap into unpaid for "safe disposal" by the local authority which will then possibly be subject to dodgy reselling and the scrap merchants will just be taking it off the authorities hands and making their main business model work around that....cutting you out....wouldn't be surprised if they actually charge you to hand over your scrap, disposal costs and all that...

its for your own good after all...

so all that will happen is that the crooks will steal our tools and new materials to re-sell, then there will be a countrywide ban on the sale of all secondhand goods...leading to crooks bartering probably for whatever they are addicted to...

driving along......pulled over by blue lights......have you got a licence to transport that bag of scrap?......erm.....no...... court, prosecuted, large fine...

Illegal trading in waste

Illegal transport of waste

Accused of attempting to launder scrap as no licence to transport/process it....

oh and your insurance on the van is out too, because you don't have the right insurance for scrap handling, so that's you banned and fined for that too....

Trade waste licence?

Thats me stuffed then as I have no idea where abous in my van I put that empty crisp packet can the other day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

prices will rise, naughty boys collecting scrap will pass the cheques into some gang mans hands, they will dispose of the moneys in their own way...

Reply to Scrap metal weigh in in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net