Discuss New rules that will affect all who, from time to time use scrap yards.. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lloyd1980

Hi all, hope your having a good month and hope this news doesn't spoil it a little.
Unsure if many of you are aware of some information I found out recently which may affect some of you if not all from some time or another.
I have been overseas for a while and not had to use scrap yards to weigh in cut offs for a coupe of years.
Iwent last week to one and was told I needed an account, for this I needed photographic ID, proof of address and my reg number.
I opened an account and was paid.
I chatted to the dealer who told me he has heard on the industry grapevine that as of dec 3rd it will be illegal for scrap yards to make cash payments for scrap metal, they can pay by cheque or BACS only.
Any person caught dealing , buying in cash faces penalties and up to 6 years imprisonment.
The government has not announced it yet but these rules will come into effect Dec 3rd.
So, in a nutshellell from December any scrap you weigh in will be traceable and come end of year, HMRC will be wanting their cut.
Another blatant move by the establishment to tax the crap out of something else, so if you have anything to sell, do it before December.
hope this helps anyone who hasn't heard about the changes.
Again my apologies if your as outraged as I was when I heard this.

yes I have herd about this as well but i have also been told that it is to try and stop the undesirables form steeling cable/metals and just weighing it in!

Good idea in theory but it will never work as there is always a way around it.

Something has to be done about the metal thefts which are spiralling out of control. Daz

It's the same as part p, brought in under an unberella of safety when it's there to keep a track of who's doing (and being paid) what.
these new rules are the same , no doubt it will be trumpeted as a solution to copper being stolen, but George Orbourne can't fool me, he will have weighed up the millions in potential revenue from taxing it and based his decision on this.
it was a similar move by labour when they de criminalised cannabis with a view to taxing it, then u turning and re classifying it.

Ok let's see shall we, if the rules come in and within 12 months there is no tax levy on it, I will concede I am wrong and it was simply a solution to theft of copper.
I will buy you a pint in the electricians arms.
If on the other hand they levy taxation on it almost immediately , My suspicions will be proven correct, then mines a fosters :)

If it stops the dirty thieving hoards cruising around the streets in transit vans picking up anything they can their thieving hands on... Then I'm all for it.!!

I suppose I'll need a waste carriers licence next?

You already do, have a look at the requirements and you'll find you (like all other electricians/plumbers/etc) need to register as an upper tier carrier.

As for the new rules, well if it costs me a few quid to gain a few hundred then it's fine by me. It will reduce the theiving scum's opportunities to offload their ill gotten gains, and mean that the tatters rolling around will need to register and get insurance. Sure some will find a way round it, but it will make life more difficult for them.

As for the tax angle, well as the scrap cable or whatever that gets weighed in by tradesmen is technically someone else's property which they have been allowed to take away for their own personal gain, then surely they can't complain too much at having to hand over a few quid to be allowed to carry on with it? It's a perk, not a right.

If you take into account the increase in copper prices over the last few years, then deduct the tax you'll pay on it, you're still into a handsome proffit for very little effort.

Around my way the already randomly have inspections at the scrap yard
There is the Council to see if you have a waste carriers licence
The Police to check your vehicle out and your Identity
The tax man to check if you are registered to pay tax etc

only happens once every few months

I don't carry any waste, its a commodity in my eyes:policeman:

"Any waste produced as a result of construction or demolition works, typically building infrastructure.
As registration is required for those who produce construction and demolition wastes, a definition is useful to guide what is and what is not construction and demolition.
The definition of 'construction' in the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 includes improvement, repair and alteration.
Construction and demolition may include wastes from the carrying out of any building, civil engineering or engineering construction work including:

the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair or removal of mechanical, electrical, gas, compressed air, hydraulic, telecommunications, computer or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a structure,

All of the lovely reason why you must hand over more money can be found here Environment Agency - Waste carriers, brokers and dealers - definitions

If on the other hand they levy taxation on it almost immediately , My suspicions will be proven correct, then mines a fosters :)
HMRC will not need any new rules to tax it. They'll simply class it as another revenue stream and when it's your turn to be investigated you'd better make sure it's going through your records.

Hi all, hope your having a good month and hope this news doesn't spoil it a little.
Unsure if many of you are aware of some information I found out recently which may affect some of you if not all from some time or another.
I have been overseas for a while and not had to use scrap yards to weigh in cut offs for a coupe of years.
Iwent last week to one and was told I needed an account, for this I needed photographic ID, proof of address and my reg number.
I opened an account and was paid.
I chatted to the dealer who told me he has heard on the industry grapevine that as of dec 3rd it will be illegal for scrap yards to make cash payments for scrap metal, they can pay by cheque or BACS only.
Any person caught dealing , buying in cash faces penalties and up to 6 years imprisonment.
The government has not announced it yet but these rules will come into effect Dec 3rd.
So, in a nutshellell from December any scrap you weigh in will be traceable and come end of year, HMRC will be wanting their cut.
Another blatant move by the establishment to tax the crap out of something else, so if you have anything to sell, do it before December.
hope this helps anyone who hasn't heard about the changes.
Again my apologies if your as outraged as I was when I heard this.
ITS THE PART P OF SCRAPPERS!!......
and yes, it wont work!!
come on, can you really see anyone less than honest being stopped by this lark...

Reply to New rules that will affect all who, from time to time use scrap yards.. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net