Discuss SDS thoughts? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Did my first 110mm core with an old black n decker drill I did eventually get through but was hard work and the drill was smelling around the gearbox. No clutch either but not much power so could manage. so no doubt that drill will fair a bit better. But it wont do it many times before the clutch starts slipping constantly. Old imperial bricks seem harder to drill than the modern block and hollow bricks too.

I core maybe 6 110mm holes per year on average. I use a 720(?)W Bosch SDS. It's not super quick, but it does the job. Often have to hold the drill just so, so the clutch is not constantly going.

I normally core through first 50mm, then stitch drill the rest out. Same with the inner course.

Thanks all, I have been checking the thread but just haven't had time to respond. In the end I opted for the cheap Titan - this is the first core I've had to drill and I doubt I'll get them regular to do, so just thought £50 for a cheap SDS - even if it only lasts a year or two, it's £50 isn't it so I won't mind it being abused. If I spent £200 on one I'd be more inclined to wrap it in cotton wool.

Hi Hightower
Those titan drills are fine for core work if you take into account how many times you will be using it in a year they will last you fine. You will probably find you will only use it a few times a year to be fair so its a great cheap starter tool. I have used mine only 3 times this year to do the extractor fan jobs and its still in perfect condition. I wont use it for any other jobs other than core drilling as my dewalt sds cordless and powered sds does all my other work.

I use a titan SDS for core drilling, I have had one fail (only on the bit holder getting damaged) and the other has gone well for the last two years, only used occasionally but it does work.
A bit heavy for the high up core drilling.

I use a similar £50 B&Q heap of donkey ---- for my corded SDS work, including core drilling. Works great as a large hole driller and chisel and I'm not going to be upset if it burns out. It has even proved itself 6" core holes.
I use my battery SDS for the day to day stuff but for the heavier jobs it's great.

Censoring the word ---- ? Really ? What if I want to talk about when I ---- my pancake or when I ---- a tennis ball to my son ? Or when my missus asks me to ---- her salad ?

Censoring the word **** ? Really ? What if I want to talk about when I **** my pancake or when I **** a tennis ball to my son ? Or when my missus asks me to **** her salad ?

Isn't t***ing the salad a euphemism for something else....:)

Actually I just googled it. Horrible origins....

Reply to SDS thoughts? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net