Discuss Searching for materials?? Problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening

Looking for feedback,

Appreciate any feedback you have.

I've been in the electrical game for 20 years plus and one of my biggest hates is searching for materials and prices.

I'm currently working on some software that could make it quicker to find what your looking for by bringing everyone under one roof, sparks and suppliers,

Sparks upload there material lists or parts needed. And suppliers can contact them directly to price or make contact, Giving you more than one price quickly.

Also sparks when sparks list what they need,other sparks can see it and may be able to get in touch as they may have the stock left over from a job that they could sell cheaper than wholesaler.

My question is do you think this could benefit us sparks

Second question is what Is your biggest need or problems when it comes to materials.

Love to hear back?

Sorry for long post, just looking at way to help everyone out.

Matty

Hear your point, but would it not help, if you needed a price or information and you could just upload it and it be seen by suppliers who can price it for you juat like that,

Say you you are on a job and find something you dont know and take picture and upload it, a supplier who listed might be able to get in touch

??

The second part regarding unwanted stock but most sparks have accounts with wholesalers and probably email a list to them.My biggest problem is that wholesalers don't keep the range on the shelf that they used to.

Brilliant, this is why I asked, I have a few ideas and thats why I am asking, it's all early stages and not much time spent on it, thought I'd run it past you guys for feed back,
If it's a majority no go then I call it,
Bit thanks for feedback so far

I too am accumulating unwanted stock. A while back, I listed (and sold) a few items on eBay, but I eventually reckoned the time spent selling & shipping would be more profitable just doing a few more jobs, so I gave up.

So now, I tend to be quite strict in making sure the customer pays for all of any non-standard materials I order for a job, and I can either give away leftovers, or scrap it.

That said, I am forever binning MCBs from pre-populated CUs that weren't needed, but there is no market for them.

I too am accumulating unwanted stock. A while back, I listed (and sold) a few items on eBay, but I eventually reckoned the time spent selling & shipping would be more profitable just doing a few more jobs, so I gave up.

So now, I tend to be quite strict in making sure the customer pays for all of any non-standard materials I order for a job, and I can either give away leftovers, or scrap it.

That said, I am forever binning MCBs from pre-populated CUs that weren't needed, but there is no market for them.
a second business selling from fle bay hope the tax man does not see this .

Last edited:
How many other sparks have stuff left over, sure there is a market for diy enthusiastics to buy stuff at reduced rate?

EBay is long, have to wait, must be an easier site, with geo location so you see if anyone selling local, suppose Facebook but that's quite vague.

a second business selling from fle bay hope the tax man does not see this .

Oh dear , they DO see it all.

HMRC get data from all sorts of institutions, they miss nothing. Whether they can be bothered to tax you for selling a few hundred quids worth of stuff on eBay is another matter.

There was a programme on TV a few months ago about this ..

Be careful with Geo location it's a bit risky isn't it? I'd not want anyone knowing where my stocks are kept (and van with tools etc) nor would any punters with valuable stuff in possibly empty houses. Be great to subscribe to a plumbers version as those guys have serious amounts of copper and possibly old lead lying round for the Xmas ---- up weigh-in.

Or does anyone know if there is any specific sites for sparks who have loads of stock left over where they can list it, incase other sparks might need something??
I have tons left over??

Try here for excess stock:
The Trade Link - https://www.thetradelink.com/about-us

I tend to email my two wholesalers and play them against each other when getting a big order in.
What you have originally suggested Matty is not a bad idea per se, but I think it would be really hard to get up and running. If you truly believe in your idea then go for it I say, there are plenty of examples of ideas that 'will never work' out there that are now big businesses.

Hiya

Everyone says it's hard to get up off the ground,

That's why I thought I'd come on here and get feed back,

I have possible 10 samll electrical wholesalers, and some hardware shops As they stock stuff sometimes cheaper who are looking at the idea,

As I said electrical contractors instead banging out emails to there wholesales just list there order, and the site which is joined to eventually alot if wholesalers wholesalers will then contact you with there deals.
Then you can play off each other or order from one and not the other saving money.

But the reason I suggested on a live site is because you might need a a couple of drums of cable at £100 a pop and there may be a spark down the road who might have them not used who can sell to you for cheaper than the wholesalers.

So you will have the wholesaler giving you best price and also possible or making more saving if a local spark has the material you need left over.

That was idea. And I know it will be hard but that's why I'm asking the experts in there field on their opinion

Cheers guys have great weekend

A couple of other possible sticking points in my view are as follows:
Convenience - easy to go to wholesalers - and many sparks will go for a cuppa and a laugh as well as getting their gear.
Feel it's open to abuse in terms of dodgy items being sold - poor quality or fake cable etc etc.
Luddites/Technophobia - there are still loads of trades out there which are virtually oblivious to the internet and who are confused when faced with a smartphone! This will change obviously to some extent, but I am amazed how many lads I know that manage to run apparently decent businesses without using email and the internet. Although naturally electricians are MUCH MUCH more likely to be savvy-ier than other trades!!

Also we tend to pass the price onto the customer anyway, so I am not always massively bothered about how much an item will cost.

There was a post recently on here by SparkyChick and she was after a specific over-sized face plate. This may be a good angle to approach from, but it would be few and far between in terms of sales/deals done...

Good luck with it. :)

I don't go into wholesalers very often as they are all 20+ miles from me. But I don't really get the need or point of this.

If I want wholesalers to price some items up, all that's needed is the list emailed to whichever wholesalers I want to price it up. No need to upload any list then wait for wholesalers to look and find it. Then hope those wholesalers that do price it up are ones I have accounts with and deliver when I need in my area.

Overstock - I either keep and use items, or if needs be return to wholesalers for a credit.

No always say thanks, I'm always asking questions, that's how you learn, bit always say thanks because someone has taken the time to help you or reply and one day there gonna ask hoping for a reply.

Any way thanks again,

Just throwing in my two cents as a wholesaler.

When we receive quote requests from people you normally see the chain it was sent to (Newyes, WF, Eddies, Cities, Medlock, BEW, etc) so people for the most part are only writing the list once and just sending it everywhere. I don't see how getting someone to sign up and login to a site etc is saving time and money compared to the current method.

You will also probably want to get the big chains mentioned above involved, and lets be honest they are all going to need a reason to be on there (preferential opportunities to get the quotes first etc), this will straight away compromise the integrity of what you are trying to do. This will leave it as only really a useful tool for the local independents. And just like the chains, the chances of them getting the time to go through the site/app to find any information relevant to them is highly unlikely.

It's a good idea in theory, but the practicalities of it is where I think you'd struggle.

As for excess stock as mentioned above return them for a credit, most places take stuff back (even the specials, there might be a handling charge is all).

Just throwing in my two cents as a wholesaler.

When we receive quote requests from people you normally see the chain it was sent to (Newyes, WF, Eddies, Cities, Medlock, BEW, etc) so people for the most part are only writing the list once and just sending it everywhere. I don't see how getting someone to sign up and login to a site etc is saving time and money compared to the current method.

You will also probably want to get the big chains mentioned above involved, and lets be honest they are all going to need a reason to be on there (preferential opportunities to get the quotes first etc), this will straight away compromise the integrity of what you are trying to do. This will leave it as only really a useful tool for the local independents. And just like the chains, the chances of them getting the time to go through the site/app to find any information relevant to them is highly unlikely.

It's a good idea in theory, but the practicalities of it is where I think you'd struggle.

As for excess stock as mentioned above return them for a credit, most places take stuff back (even the specials, there might be a handling charge is all).

Thank you for your feedback

Reply to Searching for materials?? Problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net