Discuss Setting the overload on a direct online starter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi I’m sitting my AM2 next month and have found out that you need to set an overload on a direct online starter motor circuit.

I have tried asking my supervisor and assessor,tutor at college not one of them have given my a straight answer..

Is this the formula?

Its 3 phase so formula is:
KW/3/(U/√3)/PF

So say a 1kw motor

So 1000/1.73/(132)/0.9= 1.6A per phase?

Thanks in advance for anybody that can shed some light on for for me :)

Last edited:
Yes your calculation is correct, did you edit the original?
The relay should never be set above the normal running current of the motor.

Your overload is usually set to the Full Load Current (FLC) of the motor when talking DOL , motor have many variables that effect there rating, you normally wouldn't calculate it unless you are at a design stage and limited to such info, I guess this is what they are asking you to do, normally you would refer to the motor plate or the manufacturers when setting it up on site.

Motors are rated on their output, so 1KW is the power the motor will provide. So there is also efficiency to consider and a realistic power factor at full load. Hence Darkwoods comments about reading this off the rating plate, its the only method i use to set overloads, then i set the overload as accurately as i can to the FLC stated on the plate.

I would also add but noting it is beyond what you are been asked to consider in the AM2 is that O/L settings are a complex issue beyond the calculation method, it is often the case I set O/L much lower than FLC, this is because the motor may be running at 75% load under normal conditions, if I set at 85% of FLC then impending issues can be detected long before they become an issue and they effect production, if I get a trip at 85% where it runs at 75% under normal then I program in a maintenance schedule on the possible causes and put the motor O/L to FLC to allow production to continue until an appropriate time it can be addressed and serviced.

Would love to help but I did mine in about 1990, didn't get any chart back then :/.. hopefully another member with more recent experience of the AM2 can help out.

Okay so apparently you do not get the flc and you have to use a formula to work out the current per phase? Then look it up on a chart?

Would my first formula be correct?

KW/3/(U/√3)/PF

So say a 1kw motor

So 1000/1.73/(132)/0.9= 1.6A per

If we have to take into account power factor that is..

convert motor rating from kW to W (1x1000 = 1000). Route of 3 = 1.73. 1.73x400=692.8. 1000/693=1.44

They may not actually want you to set the overload, but they will at least want to see you write down the calculation

Reply to Setting the overload on a direct online starter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net