Discuss Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

don't forget to upgrade your pl ins. to cover yourself + 1 employee. won't cost much, but you'll be covered if he puts his foot through a ceiling. you will probably need employers liability unless you class him as self-employed.

I'm all for giving people a chance. And have done so. Sometimes it's worked out and sometimes come back to bite me on the bum. And I'm not into SM.

So, my two pence worth...........FWIW
It's a while since I dealt with employment but a couple of points.
If you employ him I think you will have to pay him not less than NMW which is currently £3.68 an hour for his age group.
I would put in writing at least the basic terms of employment - rate of pay, hours of work even if flexible, grounds for dismissal, and any other caveat you think appropriate.

I would also have a formal documented chat about what he may or may not do. Our new recruits have a two hour induction which, in my view, is totally OTT. Especially since the guy who conducts the wouldn't know one end of an electron from the other - personal whinge and done. But just make sure the lad knows the limits. What he may or may not do. Electricity is unforgiving. He needs to know that.

Probably this comes across as a bit official/officious and CMA. And I guess it is. But, should things go pear shaped, and I really hope they don't, you could save yourself a lot of grief, regrets, and financial pain.

Only just seen the thread.
Uk This lad has approached you, which shows he wants to learn, this is a good start, Also I tend to agree that £20.00 per day with Lunch thrown in is where you want to be.
If he is genuinley fired up about learning the trade and becoming an Electrician, then you will find he will think of the cash as a bonus or at least he should!
If he is purely about the money then I would say he is not for you. Regarding workwear, make sure he as decent trousers on, trainers and boots to cover all scenario's.
Finally take it a day at a time, or a job at a time, You say at the moment you don't have enough work for 2 people, but you will soon find how much more productive you become if you have somone assisting you.
Obviously you can't treat him like a slave, but it doesnt hurt to show him where everything is in the van, and what all the tools in your bag are called, Remember we have different names sometimes for tools, which youngsters don't know about.
Take your time with him,don't talk to him like crap but also don't wrap him up in cotton wool.
This could be the next chapter in you life and a start of bigger jobs and more revenue.
All the best with it mate and keep us upto speed.

Everyone deserves a chance, be totally upfront that you a only a few jobs, and give him a trainees wage....they dont deserve to work for nothing

On the other hand if he is really keen he would do a few sessions free see if he is worth it and if he does work free/watch for the first couple of times you will be able see his genuine level if interest ,

If it turns out great work out apprentice wage rates and get him involved when you can might be a win win

Thanks everyone for your input, it's certainly given me something to think about today.

I rekon £3 an hour is about the nmw for an apprentice. Give him a couple of weeks see if he's any good. Also give him a bit of theory work to do like basic ohms law and transposing formula etc so he can get a taste for that side. If he enjoys it try talking to your local college about taking on an apprentice, colleges round Manchester tend to give employers money for taking on an apprentice. 3days in college and 2days with you! He learns and he earns. After a few years it may well work in your favour. Slightly less time for you on site so more time drawing in more business.
Check with your insurance firm about employers liability it might only be £50 extra per year. Tell him to get his own boots and just supply hat vest gloves an eye protection.
I hope he works out for you

Ive spoken to him today and hes coming with me to watch / have a chat whilst i do a CU change. (By the way, im trying a Hager board tomorrow instead)

He seemed nice enough, didn't sound like an idiot and his text was all in proper English with please and thank you too. Ill let you know tomorrow how I got on.

Ive spoken to him today and hes coming with me to watch / have a chat whilst i do a CU change. (By the way, im trying a Hager board tomorrow instead)

He seemed nice enough, didn't sound like an idiot and his text was all in proper English with please and thank you too. Ill let you know tomorrow how I got on.

His text was in " PROPER " english pmsl

forgot to add, the lad said he has enrolled on the electrical course 3 days a week at college starting in September, presumably 2330 or something. Ill find out tomorrow. He does genuinely sound interested to me.

Reply to Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net