Discuss Should Electric Oven Have Switch? & Question re. Whether Need New Cert. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So I can understand the certificates I should get:

From the original re-wire work I got directly from the 1st builder/Electrician a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate on NICEIC headed paper and then later I got a certificate from NICEIC which says "Building Regulation Certificate of Compliance" and refers to regulations 4 & 7 of The Building Regulations 2010 for England and Wales.

Is the first certificate an example of the Electrical Certificates you say the Electrician should give me directly and the second a Part P compliance Certificate that you say should come from their scheme?

Exactly

Yes, have you asked about the switch? Was it there before the kitchen went in? Could it be behind one of the units?
As in positioned in the wrong place in 1st fix?

Yes, have you asked about the switch? Was it there before the kitchen went in? Could it be behind one of the units?
As in positioned in the wrong place in 1st fix?
There was a switch there before the kitchen went in, lying on the floor approximately where oven to go and attached to calbe that ran to fuse board. I haven't asked builder yet as wanted to know if there should be one and if it should be accessible before I ask so I know how to respond if he tells me isn't one or if is one but is hidden behind oven or something.

was their a contract from the first say builder .in writing and second in writing .
and signed ?
the second builder does not have to hand over the test cert till payment is made
how ever he can reg the job within the 30days of completing the said works

In the schedule of works, what reference is there to the existing (or a new) cooker switch?

Note per the above. There is no wiring regulation that says you must have an isolating switch for a cooker, etc.

was their a contract from the first say builder .in writing and second in writing .
and signed ?
the second builder does not have to hand over the test cert till payment is made
Surely handing over certificates that are part of showing the job has been done is part of completing the works and so I shoudln't pay full amount as not completed? How else can I guarantee if there are any problems with the certificates such as not having been filled out properly (I had this issue with last builder) can I be sure they will rectify the problem?

Whilst compliance with BS7671, by isolating the electric oven by turning off the CU main switch may be achieved, that's not particular useful in the middle of the night.

Most electrical installations I've seen and done myself, choose to comply with the regs, for isolation, switching, mechanical maintenance, etc etc, by installing a local isolator. Manufacturers instructions should also be taken into account, and normally say something like;

The cooker must be supplied via a suitable double pole isolating switch, having a contact separation of at least 3mm in all poles placed in a readily accessible position adjacent to the cooker.
:)

Certificates are part of the installation, and should be given to the person ordering the work, regardless of payment.

However, next time you have your car serviced & MOT'd, see how you get on with walking off with the service document and paying the workshop 3 weeks later. Don't think they'd give your keys back, until you hand over the dosh :eek:

and signed ?

100% wrong unless this was stated on the builders quote.

Back to the OP - so the first electrician rewired the house completely and didn't leave any spare ways?

100% wrong unless this was stated on the builders quote.

Back to the OP - so the first electrician rewired the house completely and didn't leave any spare ways?
That's right. I said to the builder from the very start I wanted to have an electric shower. I said I wanted to have one in addition to probably having a combi boiler supplied shower too in case ever have a boiler breakdown so I can still have shower etc. However installing the shower itself was not part of his work, only to wire-up the house so I can have one installed in the 2nd stage of the works. He then went and got a 10-way consumer unit and told the Electrician to install. I think the builder forgot about the cable for the shower and then must have bought the inadequate 6mm2 cable. The electrician told me after that the builder had told him that the shower would probably never be used/installed even though I had been 100% clear from the very start that I wanted one so the wiring for one was needed. This meant the cable was put in but I gather was not actually attached to a circuit on the consumer unit but rather just tucked away behind it or something.

That's the problem with builders, they think they know best. Just let them pour the cement, and put the bricks one on top the other. Ask your technical questions for the other aspects of the work, to the trade that is carrying out the work.

So the rewire CU didn't comply with the regs then... there should ALWAYS be spare ways.....

Next time you get some work done, make sure you engage a spark who knows what he's doing and doesn't allow the builder to supply the parts..

So the rewire CU didn't comply with the regs then... there should ALWAYS be spare ways.....

Next time you get some work done, make sure you engage a spark who knows what he's doing and doesn't allow the builder to supply the parts..

I man over cooked his food in the oven, which caused a fire, which made ir difficult for him to turn off the cooker nobs. If he had a switch, he could off turnedbthe whole lot off. When the fire started, he never thought of turning the MCB at the board. The firemen told him there needs to be a switch. He complained to the landlord, which was stupid because he installed the cooker himself.

Sparksburntout, if your reading these posts from afar, in your enforced absence, you'll see the standards of spelling and grammar are not improving. o_O

That's the problem with builders, they think they know best. Just let them pour the cement, and put the bricks one on top the other. Ask your technical questions for the other aspects of the work, to the trade that is carrying out the work.
I think the last builder was shielding him from me. The Electrician later told me he likes to meet the client to discuss the client's needs. I don't know why he didn't do this in my case.

Reply to Should Electric Oven Have Switch? & Question re. Whether Need New Cert. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net