Discuss should i get rid of an european sandwich maker 16A 250V? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

maxaue

DIY
Reaction score
Hello to everybody, i am a not expert person in matters of electric devices, infact i think i naively made a mistake in buying a device from spain and realizing here it was not fit for the Uk sockets. Its a sandwich maker 250v 16A that anytime i switch on triggers the circuit breaker . Now i am wondering if i have to throw it away or if someone could be skilled enough to modify the wire or suggest me an adaptor that might make it work with 13A
Thank you very much

It sounds faulty. Using a 16A product like that on a UK 13A socket will overload it, but you are looking at many minutes for fuses to go, etc, so what you typically see is it works but gradually damages the plug and socket through excess heat.

If it trips immediately that is either a very high fault current (over 3 times the breaker's rating), or it is leaking to earth and tripping the RCD.

Given the cost it is probably not worth bothering with, take a look in places like Argos, Currys, etc, for a UK replacement.

Are there shops in london where taking it to be fixed? I rarely see them or simply i dont know them. I paid it 90 pounds plus delivery costs, if i can pay less than 40 pounds i would try

Mines a much lower power two sandwich toaster made by Breville only 850 watt, how many sandwiches do you make at a time? sounds commercial at that power, rather than domestic.

Last edited:
The device should have a nameplate or sticker detailing power and voltage.
can you post a picture?

i simply reported the symbols and numbers on its the schuko jack, while the adaptor i normally use for schuko is 250v 13A max
If you are saying 16A because that's what is stamped on the schuko plug, that doesn't mean the sandwich maker will necessarily take that current! As James post above - what does the rating plate say the wattage and/or current is? That information will also be in the instructions if you have them.

As has been said, It's likely tripping the breaker because of a fault.

PS it doesn't seem likely to me that a toaster has a 4kW element!

Last edited:
it should be 800W and 240v
That is under 4A so no issue for UK or EU sockets.

There must be a fault then if it is tripping things.

Sadly I hardly ever visit London these days so have no idea of places that might repair things, but I'm sure there will exist.

Are there shops in london where taking it to be fixed?
You might like to research whether there is a "Repair Cafe" near you.
They are staffed by volunteers and its free to take items along to see if they can be repaired.

Here's an example - the Lambeth Repair Cafe, but there are others in London:

It sounds faulty. Using a 16A product like that on a UK 13A socket will overload it, but you are looking at many minutes for fuses to go, etc, so what you typically see is it works but gradually damages the plug and socket through excess heat.

If it trips immediately that is either a very high fault current (over 3 times the breaker's rating), or it is leaking to earth and tripping the RCD.

Given the cost it is probably not worth bothering with, take a look in places like Argos, Currys, etc, for a UK replacement.
Yes, you are right. If the product trips immediately, it is either a very high fault current or it is flowing to ground.

Reply to should i get rid of an european sandwich maker 16A 250V? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net