Discuss Should know better! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alexg

:confused: I should know for sure grantedbut I am now confused by several sparks I know.
Minor works- new socket point say - rcd protection obviously....
Can just this new cable run/ socket be Rcd protected... Or does the whole ring circuit have to be?
What do you reckon oh knowledgeable one.

Thanks!
:eek:

:confused: I should know for sure grantedbut I am now confused by several sparks I know.
Minor works- new socket point say - rcd protection obviously....
Can just this new cable run/ socket be Rcd protected... Or does the whole ring circuit have to be?
What do you reckon oh knowledgeable one.

Thanks!
:eek:

Alexg originally Electrical safety council under 17th edition guidance

http://www.esc.org.uk/forum/index.html

Stated that only the new wiring and all new socket installed had to be RCD protected.

Until earlier this year when in IET wiring matters issue 30 spring 09 alterartion and addition Mr Mark Coles stated that to ensure compliance all socket on the ring you were adding to must be RCD protected, included link to wiring matters.

http://www.------.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/

Which is different to ESC this is why you may be confused, we all are, personelly I would protect all the socket outlet whether ground floor or not as I understand the dangers shock risk of fault equipment class 1 earthed equipment pose, and yes i understand it a nightmare trying to explain it to the customer.

and yes i understand it a nightmare trying to explain it to the customer.

Yes it can be a nightmare, Almost turns into arguments..

So would you not use RCD FCU's (powerbreakers) in any situation, as this would on be protecting the new cable and accessory, and according the the wiring matters article this isnt acceptable

Yes it can be a nightmare, Almost turns into arguments..

So would you not use RCD FCU's (powerbreakers) in any situation, as this would on be protecting the new cable and accessory, and according the the wiring matters article this isnt acceptable

Personelly no, in 1997, I went to investigate a fault that killed a child, if the socket had been protected by an RCD that child would certainly not have died, it still upsets me today, I have since be told by other sparks incidents like adult and children putting metal knives in electric toaster, I seen the result of a 2 year old how put a desk lamp in a fish tank, at a customers house who I had done some work for ,they did not want all their socket RCD, as they did not see the point etc, they are very good friend now. the son is now 23 and hates electricity.

Basically people especially children are unaware how dangerous it can be, since the incident with the fish tank every general purpose 13A socket outlet I installed been connected to an RCD and no client dont complain any more if they do I give them my friends phone number or refuse to do the work.

Lighting is a different storey and having to change the bonding etc.

Reply to Should know better! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net