Discuss Should rewirable fuses be pensioned off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Personally I think that the old wylex rewirable boards should no longer comply for alterations and additions, and that's nothing to do with the fuse being rewireable.
The problem with these boards is that unless the fuse cover is in place there are exposed live parts, especially if the carrier is not pushed fully home.A high proportion of these boards will be missing the fuse cover and easily accessible to kids. Not everyone will switch off the main switch before withdrawing a fuse carrier and it is very easy to contact live parts while doing so, in fact if the carriers a bit tight it's tempting for the uninitiated to curl fingers round the back to get more purchase....where it can be live. These boards have served well for decades, but are simply not up to todays standards on barriers and enclosures.
During an EICR one of these boards missing the fuse cover is always a code 2 for me.

That cover is not there to prevent access to live parts, its purpose is to contain molten metal from a rupturing fuse element.

Last edited:
Fuses are OK provided they aren't wrongly wired and ALL the Earthing arrangements are in place.

Even the fuse carrier is colour coded and has pins sized and arranged to prevent accidentally fitting the wrong size but the thinking if a fuse blows, fit a bigger one prevails.

I did once find one with a "tail" of live fuse wire hanging out from the carrier, rather than being cut off at the screw. Just waiting for someone to put their fingers over the ends.

Their cheapness and reliability helps them stay.
( and the cost of their convenient -but non RCD- plug in -UP grade )
.... find one with a "tail" of live fuse wire hanging out from the carrier, rather than being cut off at the screw. Just waiting for someone to put their fingers over the ends.
SJD May be on to something with the populations worsening eyesight , and thinnest wire being for lights !

That cover is not there to prevent access to live parts, its purpose is to contain molten metal from a rupturing fuse element.
That's beside the point, without it live parts are accessible without the use of a tool. Some of the covers have a screw retainer, some a thumb screw, a thumb screw cover is still a code 2 even if it's in place. Regardless of it's intended purpose as far as I'm concerned it's main function is a barrier from live parts.

The fact that they are still out there in big numbers and still doing there job decades after they where first installed, tells me they are not a bad thing, like anything in life use it properly and as intended and it will serve you well. You should not blame fuses for stupid carefree humans, they are the problem not the fuses. What next ? are we going to stop people driving on the road because sooner or later you could be in an accident ? RANT OVER !

I once did a board change after a rewirable CU had burnt out and couldnt get the client to see that the mcb and a fuse are serving the same purpose. "What do I do if the mcb wont reset?"......"Well that would indicate a fault was present and you'd probably need an electrician."
"So you've only fitted them so I have to call you back and cough up loadsa cash"?
" But the same applies if your fuse keeps blowing!"
"Ah, but I can mend a fuse....."
"But if it keeps blowing....."
"I'll keep mending it"
This continued until I gave up and left her content in her opinion that she'd been conned by the unscrupulous electrician.

I once did a board change after a rewirable CU had burnt out and couldnt get the client to see that the mcb and a fuse are serving the same purpose. "What do I do if the mcb wont reset?"......"Well that would indicate a fault was present and you'd probably need an electrician."
"So you've only fitted them so I have to call you back and cough up loadsa cash"?
" But the same applies if your fuse keeps blowing!"
"Ah, but I can mend a fuse....."
"But if it keeps blowing....."
"I'll keep mending it"
This continued until I gave up and left her content in her opinion that she'd been conned by the unscrupulous electrician.

I had that after fitting a plug in mcb in place of a fuse after correcting a fault. Called me three years down the line demanding I come and remove it as it trips and won't reset. Was called a robber after telling the old dear that any visit to fault find would be chargeable.

The 3036 re-wireable fuse link was invented long, long, ago, but according to the standards list became a BS standard about 1957.

Tried and trusted in standard form, it has probably been the most abused electrical component, with wrong fuse wire, paper clips, hair clips, copper wire etc fitted.

Yet even the 18th edition includes tables for them. Let's take this poor old, badly abused fuse and put it into retirement. Like the ghost of Christmas past it's past its heydays.
The 3036 re-wireable fuse link was invented long, long, ago, but according to the standards list became a BS standard about 1957.

Tried and trusted in standard form, it has probably been the most abused electrical component, with wrong fuse wire, paper clips, hair clips, copper wire etc fitted.

Yet even the 18th edition includes tables for them. Let's take this poor old, badly abused fuse and put it into retirement. Like the ghost of Christmas past it's past its heydays.
Deleted for fear of retribution.

rewireable fuses , fitted with the correct fuse wire, are inherently safe. you can't allow for farmer giles fitting a nail in the holder, same as you can't allow for plumber percy bypassing a MCB when he's fitted a 12kW shower on a 30A MCB.

Europe use bottle shaped D and E type cartridge for domestic fuse boards so you can fit a lower rated fuse in a higher rated holder but not the other way around

Europe use bottle shaped D and E type cartridge for domestic fuse boards so you can fit a lower rated fuse in a higher rated holder but not the other way around
it's a pity that Europe ( the EU) did not consider that they could fit a low rated country into their federal superstate, but not this higher rated UK.Brexit...bring it on. dealor no deal, we are OUT. ( sorry to derail the thread, but the whole issue boils my blood).

Reply to Should rewirable fuses be pensioned off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net