Discuss Single cable to both light fixture and switch boxes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

FL_Ric

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an odd problem here and I am at a loss.

I'm replacing a light fixture and dimmer switch on our dining room circuit. The problem I'm having is that both boxes only have one cable in them. (one black, white and ground).
When I turn the breaker back on and use my tester, neither of those cables has power coming into it. I've double checked my tester and that I'm switching the correct breaker.
There are some outlets on this circuit, and when the breaker is on, there is power to them.
The previous light and dimmer worked with no issues. The light fixture was wired white/white black/black, and the old dimmer just had 2 black wires on it which were wired one to black, and one to white.

I can't figure out what is going on here, but I do have a bad feeling that this is way wrong. Thankyou in advance for any ideas and help!

Rick.

Which wire isn't live, at the switch?

Update/edit: There is only one outlet on this circuit, and it is wired like an end of run, only one cable entering it's box as well.
I'm getting the feeling there is a junction box somewhere, I've checked every outlet and light switch in the house to see if they may be on this circuit with no luck.

Is this just at the switch and not the light.

You need to test each wire to ground at the switch not between the wires.

You need to test each wire to ground at the switch not between the wires.
Ok, I've got no power from either of the single wires to ground. This is in the switch box, and also in the light box.

I've also found another outlet behind a bookcase that is on this circuit. It is an old 2-prong with no ground. It also has only one cable going to it.

But the light was working before you dismantled it all.

So you connected the new switch and light but nothing happened.

So you connected the new switch and light but nothing happened.
No I haven't yet, I apologise, I'm thrown off by only one cable in the switch box, light box, and the outlets.
I expected at least one of them to have 2 cables inside, one from breaker box, and one to feed the rest of the circuit.

I'm wondering now if I'm being over cautious with all of this. I will put up the new light and switch and see if it works.

If you have no live at the switch but it works when you connect it, the switch may be switching the neutral.
This is not allowed in the uk. Not sure about your local regs.

I have installed the new light and switch and they work. I've made some horrible discoveries in this house electric-wise, and I think that made me wary when I started.
A couple of years ago, I was replacing the ceiling light in the kitchen and found that it shared the same circuit with the fridge, dishwasher, and counter receptacles, and they all tied into the ceiling fixture box. It was overcrowded and to make room, the "electrician" clipped all the ground wires off. When I pulled the ceiling light down the insulation on the wires crumbled off!
I have since put the fridge and dishwasher on their own separate circuits, the ceiling light on its own circuit, and have 2 circuits run for the small appliance counter circuits.

I think I'll update the dining room soon, as it needs more outlets (it only has 2 right now) to bring it up to code.

I apologise for my over cautiousness, the past wiring events just make me nervous anymore.

Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it! ?

Reply to Single cable to both light fixture and switch boxes in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net