Discuss size different in down lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
evening

sourced dl's from cef for a job this weekend (1st time ive used cef- opened an account)

8x fire rated fixed +LED 5w lamps non dim
2 fire rated tilt + LED 5w lamps non dim
8x fire rated + ip65 + LED 5w lamps non dim

is it the norm that the tilted fittings usually does have a larger face than the fixed? just think it will look bit off- as the 8 fixed and 2 tilt are going in the same area....

1st time I have used cef account- was £244 inc vat for the above

fittings are 'starlite' any good anyone know?
LED's are 'save lite' -any, anygood? or just stick to the osrams/phillips in the future?

cheers guys

Yes its normal that a tilt fitting is of larger diameter than a fixed fitting. It contains the same size lamp but has to incorporate the gimbal mechanism.

you could fit all fixed downlights and buy customer a bottle of jack daniels. the effect would be that any or all would appear to be tilt fittings, :26:

evening

sourced dl's from cef for a job this weekend (1st time ive used cef- opened an account)

8x fire rated fixed +LED 5w lamps non dim
2 fire rated tilt + LED 5w lamps non dim
8x fire rated + ip65 + LED 5w lamps non dim

is it the norm that the tilted fittings usually does have a larger face than the fixed? just think it will look bit off- as the 8 fixed and 2 tilt are going in the same area....

1st time I have used cef account- was £244 inc vat for the above

fittings are 'starlite' any good anyone know?
LED's are 'save lite' -any, anygood? or just stick to the osrams/phillips in the future?

cheers guys

its not that bad but if you shopped about you could get that lot for about £180..citys are always expensive and check all your monthly invoices from them for added extras.

I only use CEF as the last resort. Their pricing is too inconsistent. The last quote I got from them was a bit high and they dropped by 10% immediately I questioned them.....

That sounds about the right price for over the counter to me. I would be getting JCC fireguard fittings and overpriced Kosnic led lamps for that price though.

its not that bad but if you shopped about you could get that lot for about £180..citys are always expensive and check all your monthly invoices from them for added extras.

I'll have to agree there. I needed a 'safe plate' a couple of years back and couldn't find them anywhere. I never go to CEF because of their prices but thought I'd try. I was extremely pleased when I went round the back and saw what I needed! They then checked the price and it was something like 3 or £4.......each!!! TLC do them for 30p! I went home and made my own.

I used to use screwfix alot (still use them), but I have an account with Wilts now. They generally beat or match screwfix prices, plus they'll deliver the parts to me the same day or wherever I am working, I think thats pretty good.

Last edited:
what are the benefits of using a integrated downlight over a usually one??

Integrated just means that the LED or other light source is integrated, This saves on cost of an extra lamp. and And any future re lamping, They are also quite often lower profile, as a chunky lamp isn't needed, just small led chips, So they are ideal for limited ceiling voids. It also IMO often means the Lights look smarter.
Other things can obviously integrated, Such as fire protection meaning no need to install separate hoods, Or an Integrated driver Saving the need to purchase an additional driver.

2nd (poss last) quote from cef
ask for a quote for the following in MK logic:

5X usb double sockets
13x DP double sockets
8x DP single sockets
6x 1w 1g sw
1x 2w 2g sw
2x 2w 3g sw
2x 3p fan isolator
2x sw fused spur+neon
1x unsw fused spur+neon
2x 9in pendants
1x s/steel up/down wall light with pir (£47.25 with 52% dis...so £22.68)

all for £378.25 inc vat

which I thought was bit steep!!

Reply to size different in down lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net