Discuss Sky - how many cables?? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Hi,

I'm not a sky fan and don't use it and as a result I don't really understand how it is cabled up - however now I have a client who wants it added whilst his house is being torn apart!

I've viewed a number of threads but don't seem to have found one which covers my question - I'll apologise now if there is one!

So here goes:

Does a "basic" sky set up use 1 dish and need one cable to the "box"

What do you need if there are multiple points? Say 3 or 4?

Why do you need more cables in some set ups?

If there's a Sky box in the loft what will the Sky installer need by way of cables?

Help!!

2 cables per sky+ or sky HD box Im nor right up on sky but from the couple Iv done from a Distribution unit in loft with 2 cables to lnb on dish 2 cables to each box along with 1 for each terrestrial ariel point probably from a ddistribution box in loft

Does a "basic" sky set up use 1 dish and need one cable to the "box"
YES, if it's very basic, ie not sky+

What do you need if there are multiple points? Say 3 or 4?
Depends what you want to do at the multiple points, without extra LNB and cabling you will only be able to watch channels on the same part of the BAND that the other tuner is watching. Reason being is that the LNB is switched to high or low band by the tuner (and so can only be on either high or low at any one time).

Why do you need more cables in some set ups?
There is an example of a flexible sat setup here: http://www.electriciansforums.net/f...forum/25549-sattelite-cabling.html#post192223

If there's a Sky box in the loft what will the Sky installer need by way of cables?
Again it depends what you need the installation to do. Minimum would be a cable to the LNB and a connection to the TV or distribution mechanism.

Hi, twin gunshot feed from dish lnb to box as feeds. Use twin or two ct100 coax's for feeds even if only one needed as allows HD upgrade later.

Same for all boxes in all rooms. 4 boxes = octo lnb £45 ish

one box can feed as many rooms as you like if you only want to watch one station at a time eg: massive house and little family.
See my website page for basic layout.

You get a remote for each room and a magic eye

i do masses of these setups and incorporate tons of AV

If you use modulators etc, you can shove one dvd player or whatever you like up the aerial feeds and across to all your rooms too!
Multiroom Audio Visual & Home Cinema Installation Leeds*|*MTI

if your installing dish, i hope you have a nice meter and not the cheapo tosh as you could end up out of pocket

Last edited by a moderator:
hi slightly off subject but how do you watch free sat in two diff rooms would you simply need to run a new cable frm the dish straight to the tele in the next room?(so then i suppose you could watch what ever is on in the lounge for example)

hi slightly off subject but how do you watch free sat in two diff rooms would you simply need to run a new cable frm the dish straight to the tele in the next room?(so then i suppose you could watch what ever is on in the lounge for example)

to do this you would need to go from the RF2 connection on the back of the sky box in the lounge, then to the TV in the other room. you could then watch whatever is on the lounge TV, and if you got a magic eye and remote you could change channel but it would be changing the channel in the lounge too.

alternatively if you have any spare outlets on your LNB you could go straight into the desired room but you would need a freeview card and a seperate sky box and remote, but then you could watch whatever channel you want (as long as it's on freeview)

Reply to Sky - how many cables?? in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net