Discuss Sockets under Sink ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A kitchen is a functional work space, not a fashion accessory/statement for others to admire....[/QUOTE]

Thats a fair comment in a standard 2 up 2 down house, but it is not always like that. I do a lot of £3-4 million + houses with bespoke kitchens costing in excess of £100,000. I would not have the gaul to stand there and tell the architect, customer, site manager that there kitchen is not a fashion item. In these kitchens they barely have a socket above worktop because it will spoil there fashionable 'clean lines'. And I cant say I disagree with them. They all have ornate glass splash backs and im not surprised they dont want banks of fcus on show. I can fit as many as 10 in a kitchen and it would look dreadful above the work top. In my eyes I am not following bad practice, Im not going against the regs and I am keeping the customer happy.

The electrical business has always been about aesthetics, functionality and safety, it's finding the correct balance between the first 2 and that changes from client to client.

Don't confuse a Rich Man's kitchen that will rarely if never be used as an every day functional kitchen, unlike your standard Mr averages 3 bed house....

I've had plenty of discussions with architects, on kitchens etc, and believe it or not, some can actually see and act on the points i make to them. Most Arch's are hairy fairies with their heads up in the clouds, that haven't got a dammed clue about living in there designs, let alone in the real world!!!

(quote)I've had plenty of discussions with architects, on kitchens etc, and believe it or not, some can actually see and act on the points i make to them. Most Arch's are hairy fairies with their heads up in the clouds, that haven't got a dammed clue about living in there designs, let alone in the real world!!! (quote)

lol, tell me about it. I am currently wiring a £4 million build 5 bed house, and I am sure that from an architects point of view it is a great design. But they sacrifice any functionality so that they can achieve their vision. for example, the whole house is an arc design, so beds 2 and 3 (in the middle of the arc) are so cramped I couldnt even fit the cbus light switches in the ensuite. i dont know about you but if I was paying £4 million to build a house I would be a bit peived if I burnt my face on the towel rail everytime I was dropping the kids of to school if you know what I mean!! just remembered as well in the planning stages, the architect and client suggested to my boss that in the lounge they should have just 1 floor socket underneath the sofa for a lamp!!! I dont know how there brains operate sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is i wouldnt put a socket behind an appliance,thats the whole point of putting them under the sink were you can get to them.Most appliances there is not enough space behind them (if they are integrated) so you just cant do it.

Thing is i wouldnt put a socket behind an appliance,thats the whole point of putting them under the sink were you can get to them.Most appliances there is not enough space behind them (if they are integrated) so you just cant do it.

Well i've never had socket outlets placed anywhere else on any of my projects, be they commercial or domestic type kitchens or in my own homes. And no i've never seen or had problems with placement space either... All have been installed into the fabric of the building too, not on the sides of kitchen cabinets...

I dont like sockets or isolators or any outlets inside kitchen cupboards and the like

I know a case can be argued for them,but it doesn't sit right with my own thinking and probably never will

Cant see where else you can put them tbh.In a fitted kitchen you have to accommodate.

Cooker connection unit
Hob ignition (socket)
Fridge /freezer (possibly seperate circuit)
Dishwasher
Washing machine
Under cupboard lights
Possibly plynth lights now getting popular
Extract hood
Possibly waste disposal

I challenge anyone to install a fitted kitchen and not end up with most of these in cupboards ?

You could just as much argue a case for not having sockets in a garage as sooner or later the roof will leak.

I was taught FCUs above worktop to low level or high level sockets or flex oultets for extractor hoods etc and low level sockets behind cooker etc and washers

but i see no problem due to necessity and no other way if installing in a fixed cupboard apart from what if someone decides to rip kitchen out and dont notice a Fused spur or cooker DP switch and all the wring comes with it also have seen some where chopped in above worktop and when underneath cable just slung behind cupbaords dog rough in my veiw looks like a washing line as does my brothers kitchen which cost him a fortune
the transformers and wiring for the selv pelmet lighting is slung on top of the amarican style freezer which slides into a intergrated unit
and a double high level for freezer with 2 T/e dropping down behind worktops

guess who is going to sort this mess out

for fridge freezers and chest freezers would you install fcu or just wire sockets into the kitchen ring

I would not use fcu for a fridge/freezer.Just a single 'unswitched' socket outlet.If i had the opportunity i'd run a seperate circuit for the freezer.

Reply to Sockets under Sink ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net