Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss some general pricing/T&C'S advice please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Choppo_3

Hi all I'm sorry if this may be a thread that has been done to the death (be gentle lol)
I've recently had an interesting chat with the gaffer about me setting up on my own on the side, weekends etc to eventually fly the nest once i feel more comfortable with having enough of my own work/client base.

I'm just trying to set up some pricing/ quotation sheets and any advice on different methods of pricing any of you guys may have, i dont want to push my luck and ask my boss as I'm very lucky the chat ended the way it did lol.

Ive recently priced a job and got it but i was the only one pricing it through recommendation and this isnt always going to be the case so i want to be competative but obviously make money. Any comments would be much appreciated

work out what you'd charge for all the jobs your boss sends you on, before you do them. Keep with your firm as long as poss before you leap/get pushed. Keep your weekend client base a secret.

work out what you'd charge for all the jobs your boss sends you on, before you do them. Keep with your firm as long as poss before you leap/get pushed. Keep your weekend client base a secret.

Not a bad idea that, I don't need to keep too quiet about my weekend work as we've discussed that I am going to be doing my own work as long as I don't try to poach his and vise versa :) I was just after some different pricing techneiques per point etc and what T&C's to put on quotes/estimates

Hum, you must have PL ins and to do notifiable work you'll need to be registered with a scheme.......

Hi Murdoch I understand this I will be insured and registered sell employed before I start my own work, any notifiable work will be tested and certificated by me and notified through a close friends scheme until I have saved the money to pay for the scheme, I'm part way through re wiring my mums house ready for my assessment :) like I said on previous post I'm after different opinions on pricing/T&C's :)

Hi Murdoch I understand this I will be insured and registered sell employed before I start my own work, any notifiable work will be tested and certificated by me and notified through a close friends scheme until I have saved the money to pay for the scheme, I'm part way through re wiring my mums house ready for my assessment :) like I said on previous post I'm after different opinions on pricing/T&C's :)

Cowboy.

I use my bosses scheme to notify my installs day in day out, and he signs the qualified superviser part of the cert how is this any different? This is how i will certificate the work i have penned in for the time being. I am a fully qualified and competent electrician with good experience under my belt, i have served a recocnised apprenticship, 17th edition and 2391. The work I carry out is to a high standard, i will be insured and registered as self employed paying tax and ni and putting the jobs through my books. If I come out saying I don't care about testing, part p, just want a bit of cash on the side I could see your point.... But I didn't so I am rather offended by your comment

I use my bosses scheme to notify my installs day in day out, and he signs the qualified superviser part of the cert how is this any different? This is how i will certificate the work i have penned in for the time being. I am a fully qualified and competent electrician with good experience under my belt, i have served a recocnised apprenticship, 17th edition and 2391. The work I carry out is to a high standard, i will be insured and registered as self employed paying tax and ni and putting the jobs through my books. If I come out saying I don't care about testing, part p, just want a bit of cash on the side I could see your point.... But I didn't so I am rather offended by your comment

Hi Choppo_3 just to clarify Murdoch's point:
An assessed enterprise will be registered with a self certification scheme and employees of that enterprise can complete the installation certificates for work and this will then be referred to the comapny scheme for Building control purposes.
However it is not legal for a self certification scheme member notify, using their self certification scheme membership, work done privately by another person.
Even work done outside of the company by employees is not notifiable through the company self certification schemes.
It sounds like you are not aware of this difference and feel you are working well (and certainly the rest of what you are doing sounds OK), unfortunately from an outside perspective you are working illegally and so it does not look good.

Apologies Murdoch if I am misinterpreting.

Choppo_3 I am not attempting to cause a problem just trying to indicate why being offended may be inappropriate in this case and why you originally received such a response.

Thank you Richard your comment is greatly appreciated as it actually had some information and input to give, I was more offended by the cocky and arrogant attitude input from Murdoch.
If I subcontracted so to speak the testing part to my friend would these be deemed legal so to speak?

Thank you Richard your comment is greatly appreciated as it actually had some information and input to give, I was more offended by the cocky and arrogant attitude input from Murdoch.
If I subcontracted so to speak the testing part to my friend would these be deemed legal so to speak?

In a word no. Despite the changes to part P this year suggesting 3rd party inspections would be OK, none of the schemes has come up with a process so no.

And as for my cocky remark matey, YOU are the one who is blantently breaking the rules, and I suspect you know you are.

In a word no. Despite the changes to part P this year suggesting 3rd party inspections would be OK, none of the schemes has come up with a process so no.

And as for my cocky remark matey, YOU are the one who is blantently breaking the rules, and I suspect you know you are.

If you look back at my previous comments I have said I INTEND etc not I HAVE so I have not broken any rules, and if your suspicions are true about me knowing I would be braking the rules do you really think I'd post it on this forum.....

It looks like I will have to wait and have a good saving spree to do my self cert, I'll be passing on any work I am offered to my friend and if the job is big enough and warrants it sub to him for some extra money

If you look back at my previous comments I have said I INTEND etc not I HAVE so I have not broken any rules, and if your suspicions are true about me knowing I would be braking the rules do you really think I'd post it on this forum.....

It looks like I will have to wait and have a good saving spree to do my self cert, I'll be passing on any work I am offered to my friend and if the job is big enough and warrants it sub to him for some extra money

Not a bad plan.

Once you'll shelled out to join a scheme you will understand why people don't like cowboys taking short cuts.

Remember not to push your luck with your employer as there will come a time where he will kick you out of the business as no doubt he did this to his employer. Also I understand where Murdoch is coming from you are either doing it or you are not going to make the jump plus it aint easy in this current environment where guys are paying all the running costs of a business to be legit and there are individuals who are cutting corners.

Plus to a bit advice to you as you need to take for and against critic in a professional manner if not then you are only looking for the answers that strokes your ego

The OP didn't say what his close friends scheme is. For all we know his close friend might be an approved contractor.

If his close friend is on a self cert scheme then obviously the OP needs to think carefully about the legalities and his own conscience plus the fact that if anything went wrong then the world will come crashing around both their ears.

Just out of interest......you do not have to be in a scheme as long as you inform BC (domestic installation) before you start the work. If when you get up and running with work etc and you chose to join a scheme, by all means do so. Good luck

Just out of interest......you do not have to be in a scheme as long as you inform BC (domestic installation) before you start the work. If when you get up and running with work etc and you chose to join a scheme, by all means do so. Good luck

Which is fair enough but given the outrageous charges the LABC's charge, scheme membership will look quite reasonable

What are the charges made by the various BC 's? Do they differ much across the country? I think my local BC is going to charge me about £84 ( not sure though). The building inspector whom I met on site didn't know the costings!

What are the charges made by the various BC 's? Do they differ much across the country? I think my local BC is going to charge me about £84 ( not sure though). The building inspector whom I met on site didn't know the costings!

Well.... without wishing to state the obvious, contact yours and ask!

Ok thanks for that Murdoc........He said about £84........I would of thought though, he would of known the exact price. I'm just wondering, if it differs across the country.

Ok thanks for that Murdoc........He said about £84........I would of thought though, he would of known the exact price. I'm just wondering, if it differs across the country.

I think you will find that they have a range of charges dependent on what is being done. Reading used to charge over £200 to inspect a CU change!

The OP didn't say what his close friends scheme is. For all we know his close friend might be an approved contractor.

If his close friend is on a self cert scheme then obviously the OP needs to think carefully about the legalities and his own conscience plus the fact that if anything went wrong then the world will come crashing around both their ears.

No mate he's only on a self cert scheme so won't be possible, so will hand work over if/ when I get it to keep the client and sub to him if the the job is big enough to warrant it

Like Murdoch said it would be to expensive to add on the price of the job so would end up pricing myself out

Reply to some general pricing/T&C'S advice please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net