Discuss Spacing between clusters of sockets and switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening, is there a standard gap to put between clusters of sockets and light switches? Eg if you have a couple of double sockets, a tv socket and a lamp socket grouped together, how much of a gap would you put between them.
Also if you had few light switches grouped together what sort of gap would you put between them?

You used to be able to get metal joiners to couple metal backboxes tigether at the right spacing for standard accessories to fit next to each other.

This doesn't alway work for decorative plates which can be over standard size sometimes.

These days I use the depth of a box as my spacing between each box, for marking out you just turn a box sideways to get your spacing.

You used to be able to get metal joiners to couple metal backboxes tigether at the right spacing for standard accessories to fit next to each other.

This doesn't alway work for decorative plates which can be over standard size sometimes.

These days I use the depth of a box as my spacing between each box, for marking out you just turn a box sideways to get your spacing.

Thank you. I’m used to seeing spacing of a depth of a box, that makes sense to me.

My electrician/builder has created an inconsistent mess (see attached)

Attachments

• 64B12449-9139-4E84-A2BC-8C88DBD76D92.jpeg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 028C0535-5A5B-45EA-BE53-27D78248E199.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 022C73E4-64BD-470D-9655-CEA8F134B4D9.jpeg
    928.3 KB · Views: 38
Depends on the wall type as well....you’ll struggle on cavity plaster board wall to get to close to each other,I’m with Dave turn the box sideways to mark out

For standard white accessories a gap of exactly one inch between the centres of the fixing lug holes and the plates will butt together perfectly.
That's my default option unless there is a likelihood of flat plate accessories in the future.

Last photo looks like a wall stud between boxes.
You can also get 2gang + 1gang dual boxes in metal or plasterboard versions.

And I think you could get a double row grid module switch for 6 dimmers.

you can still get plastic spacers. they clip in the knockouts. 2 sizes approx. 15mm and 25.mm

It completely depends on what has been agreed as it can be down to personal preference. If all those photos are from the same job then that's just appalling. You say your electrician/builder has done these. Which are they, because it's very unusual to be both.

I personally use a galv coupler to space between, but as I say, it's personal preference.

I've only ever seen gaps of about the depth of a back box so have been really surprised with what they've done but also the inconsistency.

All those photos are from the same job, in fact they are all in the same room!

The builder did the chasing in for the electrician. It looks absolutely awful and they're not even level or aligned. I'm being made to feel like I'm being picky!

I used these for standard white accessories. They are sized so the faceplates are just touching (not all faceplates are the same size) or there’s a decorative gap between them;

them's what|I use. helps to level the boxes as well.

Is this a rewire ?

As above the slightly uneven spacing could be due to crumbling plaster and issue with making good.

Lining up 3 single switch boxes in old crumbliest brickwork is quite the challenge but can be done...

Is this a rewire ?

As above the slightly uneven spacing could be due to crumbling plaster and issue with making good.

Lining up 3 single switch boxes in old crumbliest brickwork is quite the challenge but can be done...

The three double dimmer switches are in a brand new solid wall! The others are in brand new stud walls.

Reply to Spacing between clusters of sockets and switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net