Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Starting my 2365 at able skills, what are there courses like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danielc4514

Hi all, I'm booking my 2365 tomorrow with ableskills, I was just wondering have any of you done it there? Will I get all the proper certification that you'd get at collage. I only ask as I have seen on watchdog etc in the past that people have spent thousands on qualifications that aren't worth anything.

thanks dan

what's the duration of the course. if it's a few weeks, then it's mickey mouse.

Dan. I have done Part P with them. I found them fine. Good training bays, good instructors etc.

My only comment is that hands on experience is also very important.

You will get a right mixed bag of comments on this forum.

Best of luck

what's the duration of the course. if it's a few weeks, then it's mickey mouse.

I just looked at their website .....
gold card electrician package 2382, 2365 lvl 2 and 3, 2394, 2395 .. 16 weeks with NVQ3 and AM2 to follow ..... apparently you only need one practical assessment to get through all that lot

a mere £8k !!!

If I tried to force that amount of info into my head in that time I would come away after 16 weeks drooling and not knowing which way was up.... learning takes time to absorb.

I am going to do the weekend course, which involves two weekends a month for 9 months. They seem to have been very honest and said its gonna involve a lot of home study as well. I have been working on domestic properties for the past 6 months now and hope that will help greatly when comes to the course. I know the collage courses only do two 3 hour sessions in there night courses so seems better in my oppinion as you are spending full days learning. That gold package I think is more for the electritians that have been doing it for year yet dnt yet have the qualifications.

I am going to do the weekend course, which involves two weekends a month for 9 months. They seem to have been very honest and said its gonna involve a lot of home study as well. I have been working on domestic properties for the past 6 months now and hope that will help greatly when comes to the course. I know the collage courses only do two 3 hour sessions in there night courses so seems better in my oppinion as you are spending full days learning. That gold package I think is more for the electritians that have been doing it for year yet dnt yet have the qualifications.
The college I went to (day release) did a 2 hour practical session every week we were there - a total of 120 hours practical sessions for the level 2.

Oh God NO ! ! ! !

Not another incompetent Electrical Trainee in the making. Thinking they'll know it all after the so called trainers have taken their £8000.

Firstly have you even read the thread?
secondly have I once said I'm gonna do this course and be fully qualified?
thirdly, have I or have I not said in in full time employment as an electritians mate?
i am taking my course as if anything goes wrong with my employment I can further my training with another electrical company and secondly, it will add invaluable information that I will most probably never learn on site.

#3 mate posted a reply and thought maybe it's something to be proud of, being all part P and that...
It's been a long day.

Your right ur not my mate, ur a jumped up electritian putting people down on things you haven't even gt ur facts right on. Where above does it say I'm spending £8000 on a course???? Secondly even a level 2 collage course costs £1500+ for 24+ year olds. If you ain't gonna spend the time to read the thread, and are gonna be rude thinks it's best you dnt say anything. To every one else thank you for your input.

Dan. I have done Part P with them. I found them fine. Good training bays, good instructors etc.

Best of luck
:smilielol5:You should have down loaded the paper for free off the government website.

Your right ur not my mate, ur a jumped up electritian putting people down on things you haven't even gt ur facts right on. Where above does it say I'm spending £8000 on a course???? Secondly even a level 2 collage course costs £1500+ for 24+ year olds. If you ain't gonna spend the time to read the thread, and are gonna be rude thinks it's best you dnt say anything. To every one else thank you for your input.

Level 2 is first year in my book mate, try doing the full lot, will take you 3/4 years .Then as an improver that's the way.!!

The going rate for the part 2 and part 3 is £7,500.00, I cannot imagine you just doing the level 2 surely due to the fact alone it means jack all, the 2 courses take 16 weeks, the part 2 I believe takes around 6 weeks so in a way Tony is quite correct, if he is wrong tell us what you paid and how long the course is.

Well done, when did I say it wasn't. I know for a fact I am doing the correct thing. I'm working, learning and looking to take my courses. Level 2, then 3, then 17th edition, then am2. It's not a 2 min thing, which is why I'm looking to start now.

i hear able-skills have branched out into the outdoor pursuits market.....................

phpGsyBMK.jpeg

:-D

man , i love that poster , has a thousand and 1 uses.

Well done, when did I say it wasn't. I know for a fact I am doing the correct thing. I'm working, learning and looking to take my courses. Level 2, then 3, then 17th edition, then am2. It's not a 2 min thing, which is why I'm looking to start now.
I stand corrected the level 2 is 7 weeks, I think the cost is around 3K

Right, as stated earlier it's 9month course for level 2, this will also involve home study. I work along side a fully qualified electritian, so it's basically a apprenticeship. I am not doing collage as I want to do it in weekends as this is when I have most available time to study. It is £3000 which yes is an awful lot of money but you can't put a price on self investment. Level 3 will cost me £2000 as you get discount with both. I get a free resit, all books supplied and ck tool kit. I will be doing level 3 on a 24+ loan which you dnt pay back till 2016 and earn above 21k this will be £7 a month. I have done my research and work very hard to learn as much about why and how things are done.

A jumped up electrician? I don’t think so.

I’m a retired engineering supervisor/manager (electrical and mechanical) who initially served a full electrical apprenticeship. I went about it the only way we could back then. Hard work, but you came out the end of it knowing what you were doing and the theory behind it.

Hence my inbred dislike of fast track training courses.

All fairness I know what you meen there all all to many people who think, I'm gonna do a 7 k electric course and be on bla bla a week. I am not one of those I come from a building back ground and was also a foreman at one point for a ceiling and partitioning company. Only problem is I dnt have any Nvq etc and am worried about the stability in my job. This is why I gt a job with an electrical company, and took a pay decrease, I dnt care for collage or quick courses as I see fully qualified collage leavers not knowing a been! The true way to learn is on site.

Best of luck

Oh Jesus here we go again another one who thinks Part P is a qualification and not a Building Regulation.

When it first hit I looked at the EAL Domestic Installer's Certificate, what is now referred to as "A part P course" and I have to say that it was the biggest load of drivel I've ever seen.

When it first hit I looked at the EAL Domestic Installer's Certificate, what is now referred to as "A part P course" and I have to say that it was the biggest load of drivel I've ever seen.

The training providers credo. “Tell ‘em ‘owt, get the money”.

Once we’ve got the money who gives a damn that the “qualification” is printed on toilet roll.

Tony I've seen the cert. A pipe monkey mate of mine (yes I know but he really is a good bloke) went on it and he showed me it, It's really nice.
It's got a hologram on it :)

It seems that most of these training companies go down the EAL qualification route with the same qualification number, rather than the C&G qualification route . Now i wonder why this is??

I'd love to do a night course mate, but with work it makes it very difficult. I wanna have the time and energy to learn, nights if just be a zombie lol

I think probably the vast majority of us have done night classes after a day at work mate. Admittedly we were a lot younger at the time but it still had to be done.

If this Yong man is showing this much initiative I don't think it's fair to take the p# iss out of his aspirations and achievements up to this point. Good luck to the Geezer. If he's looking for work near me I'd give him a listen at least.
Bit of bullying going on under the guise of tongue in cheek on this forum.

As long as you get your gold JIB card, it don't matter what route you take.

I would contact the JIB and ask them if these courses will get you a card.

Simple

If your in Herts then why not go to Oaklands college, it's only £900 for the C&G 2365 Level 2.
In Leeds I was paying £711 for level 2 2365 2 evenings a week,I did a year then got an apprenticeship which is now costing me less at £495 per year, if you work beside a qualified spark then why not try and do an apprenticeship and pay for it yourself like I am.

Just completed and passed the 2394 and 2395 with Able the Tutor who lives in Teneriffe and comes over to run the week course is well alive and to quote him - Get on board and work hard for a week or don't bother, he was right !
Some lads did the weekend course and found it helped but they had to retain perfect memory over a longer period ! not as easy.
Great moral at ABLE and the staff really try to help you. Most competitive I found

Some lads did the weekend course and found it helped but they had to retain perfect memory over a longer period ! not as easy.

The whole idea of studying a given subject to a certain level and it's examination(s) associated with it's qualification rating, is to learn the subject you are studying to a point where you can confidently/correctly answer a given percentage of questions based on what you have learnt.

Now if you have forgotten what you have studied in just a few short days or weeks, i'm sorry but you have learnt Nothing!!! And that's exactly what's wrong with most of these short courses, ...asked questions 3, 6, 12 months down the line and most of these so-called qualification holders wouldn't be able to give a correct answer The brains long term memory function not having had enough time, or the right stimulus to satisfactorily retain the information to a suitable level....

Now if were talking about EAL Qualifications where the examinations are basically ''Open Book'' any Tom Dick or Harry can pass any examination...lol!!

Reply to Starting my 2365 at able skills, what are there courses like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net