Currently reading:
Strange RCD Fault

Discuss Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest569

80amp main switch RCD, occasionally trips when a couple of circuits are switched on (doesn't matter which circuits) with nothing plugged in.

IR tests all good. Replaced RCD for new. Happens in all weather ( don't think its external )

Only sockets on this consumer unit.

Ive had my guys out at it twice with no joy. New build wiring from 16th edition.

Im going to investigate myself this week, Im sure Ive had loose connections causing tripping before, it about all I can think of, a loose tail somewhere around the main switch.

Anything else to look out for ?

Im pretty certain its not a dodgy nail at floorboard etc its fairly new property and in good condition with chipboard throughout.

i had a kitchen ring of 7 sockets last week with 3 faults on it.
knacked mcb due to them switching it on a l-e fault numerous times
no ring continuity on live and earth rings
traced it back to a burnt cable shoved in an inaccessible tank cupboard shorting between live and earth while the neutral was in one piece
all down to a previous young spark who was out of his depth leaving a bodge!
trying to work out some muppets idea of a ring circuit is frustrating at times

If you are going back with RCBOs and you suspect on particular circuit, surely a cheaper option and much easier way to confirm would be just to put the suspect circuit on a RCBO? What is the earthing system of the property?

so JRC you are saying it bells out for continuity but you have no end to end continuity .

how can this be ?

i know wat i mean des and i know what you mean if you know what i mean .

- - - Updated - - -

So thats what he's been doing tel .

no wonder he hasn't found it .

Was there only 2 cables at each socket?
As a rough n ready guide, if you have a clamp meter, put a load on each socket in turn. IE a fan heater or one of the lads with a 230v drill running and clamp each leg of the ring (ring?) as it leaves the mcb to see what is being drawn from where. Switch mcb off and on to signal a move to the next socket.
Then disconnect and make safe at the socket you reckoned was the last one, that dropped the IR.
Run load test again.

Boydy

i know wat i mean des and i know what you mean if you know what i mean
:biggrin5: I like

But no "I meant", I mean, I meant you mean I meant
icon14.png

Probably not what you want to hear, but with it being a new build have you contacted the original installer?

Ive been given the guys number who used to own the house, although I don't think he is going to own up to having had a fault at the house post sale. He might put me onto the spark but again, he is unlikely to own up to this mess!

No certs either .....surprise.

Reply to Strange RCD Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock