Discuss Submain 16mm t&e cpc chopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
EICR.. 80 switch fuse in meter cupbord, 16mm t&e to cu with 6mm cpc chopped both ends and 16mm earth ran along side submain.
zdb/pefc/pscc fine.
bonding from db fine.
i would never do this but struggling to find a reg number aggainst it :/

opinions appreachiated

Running the twin and cpc is ok I would think mechanical protection of the cable is the main issue does it need RCD protection? Swa would be better if they have run a 16 mm with it then this can be the new MET position as well

There is an argument this could become live under fault conditions or electrically charged. You will have difficulty finding a Reg in BS7671 to put against it.
I have quoted in the past Regulation 8 of EAWR which give gives some sort of indication to this, as it is not connected you could argue it is not part of the circuit and Reg 8 makes reference to this.

Last edited:
Connect the unused cpc to earth at the supply end? Daz

Connect the unused cpc to earth at the supply end? Daz

Im not asking for a solution as easy as it could be, im looking at weather or not it needs to be reported on a eicr, the cpc is in the cable does Manufacturers state there cpc must be connected.? What diferent is it to tails running to db. Its approx 6/7M clipped direct in attic so bo rcd req. i would would always connect the cpc even if running parallel earth but i want it in black and white ie reg number for eicr. Cheers

Yeah I know what you mean. The cable manf's won't stipulate it, but the regs regarding things like conductive parts, etc. might well do. Daz

Personally I would report it on the EICR in the same way that I report on the lack of smoke detectors, by way of an example. Code it as C3 or no code at all. You have then brought the home-owners attention to something which you regard as potential safety issue. What they then choose to do about the advice is up to them.

I can think of a couple of reasons what this may have taken place.

1/ Inexperience. The installer may have been told that he should install an additional 16mm CPC and did not know what to do with the incorporated 6mm CPC so just cut it off.
2/ Due to damage or a fault with its continuity found on a previous PIR/EICR

It is good practise to connect any unused or faulty conductors to earth, the reasons for this is that in the event of cable damage it is possible for this conductor to become live, (something like a nail strike for example) and cause the protective device not to operate. This could then cause a dangerous situation in that a voltage will be present where it would not normally be expected. By connecting unused or faulty conductors to earth this will also prevent transient or phantom voltages being present.
If the conductor is damaged or does not have continuity through its whole length and only one end is connected to earth this can cause the above issues on the united earthed section.
My recommendation would be to extend the cut CPC and connect both ends and connect to a earth connection following a continuity check to confirm the reason.
I would then make a comment on the observation section of any documentation you complete.

Reply to Submain 16mm t&e cpc chopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net