Discuss SWA joint the steel of a 2 core in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joint it to the dB or joint cable to Cable

If you have to join cables mid-way then something like this has all the bits you need and is properly waterproof if you follow the instructions precisely:
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/pro...-resin-joint-kit-for-cables-up-to-16mm-2-core

But usually you use the glands at the ends and avoid joints if at all possible.
Thank you. The client wants to use this SWA(it is for temporary use)most likely to save money. However I have missed the green insulated conductor included in the kit which will give the continuity of the steel. Glands will be provided on both side.

More importantly, is the armour suitable for using as a cpc for your circuit design?

Thank you. The client wants to use this SWA(it is for temporary use)most likely to save money. However I have missed the green insulated conductor included in the kit which will give the continuity of the steel. Glands will be provided on both side.
So the jointing kit is missing the earth link?

10mm 2-core has armour equivalent of 26mm steel = 3.25mm copper approx (6 ohm / km) so you would need some copper braid of roughly 4mm CSA as a replacement. Depending on the space available it might be a case of using 2 * 2.5mm stranded insulated wires, but you would need to be very sure it was making a proper connection when clamped.

More importantly, is the armour suitable for using as a cpc for your circuit design?
First thought that went through my head, too!

I am reading the original post as "how do I connect the armour of the SWA to consumer unit, and also to the DB".

Answer - use the proper type and size of gland for the SWA cable, along with the supplied earth connection ring (banjo) bolted through the metalwork using brass bolts and nuts.

Or is it just me?

Like PC1966 just said OP mentioned link missing so assumed it to involve a joint kit!! but could be wrong, its not very clear!

I read the OP as
I have a 2 core 10mm2 SWA from a DB to a consumer unit to be joint.
and with a little imaginative spelling correction i get:

"I have a 2 core 10mm2 SWA from a DB to a Consumer unit to be JOINED"

So I think the suggestion of the torpedo joints with resin is right. Also the copper equivalent of the missing earthing link between the two armours.

Reply to SWA joint the steel of a 2 core in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net