Discuss Swa methods (trying again)) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

To answer your question, I wouldn't bother with that tool, I would use a hacksaw, if your worried about making the armoured square and neat put some inulation tape around the cable before cutting it so you have a guide to follow.

ah yes!!...my first attempt at college went wonky,......mr teacher man suggested the insulation tape idea, it massivly helped,..as for the tool,....im a ---- for gadgets!........:punk:

appreciate everyones input.

I've watched people with these gadgets and personally wouldn't waste money on one which isn't made of steel or with a blade that lasts longer than these gimmicky gadgets
stick to the hacksaw because its simple to do and you'll always be able to buy one cheaply anywhere but I doubt you can say that about the ck or kewtech
I think they're slower anyway!
go for reliability everytime!
I find eclipse junior hacksaws to be very good and they're about 2 quid had mine for years done hundreds and hundreds of swa's no problems

I've watched people with these gadgets and personally wouldn't waste money on one which isn't made of steel or with a blade that lasts longer than these gimmicky gadgets
stick to the hacksaw because its simple to do and you'll always be able to buy one cheaply anywhere but I doubt you can say that about the ck or kewtech
I think they're slower anyway!
go for reliability everytime!
I find eclipse junior hacksaws to be very good and they're about 2 quid had mine for years done hundreds and hundreds of swa's no problems

awwww hacksaws,.......

.....i had a top little hacksaw (i think bacho or ck ??))....anyway, it **strangly** went walkies from my tool box when a load of our eastern european cousins were in the warehouse one day,....along with a lot of other kit,....

.....confront them,...you just get the shrug and stare,....

...universal meaning,.....suddenly "no understand "

Tried one and didnt like it (was like a pipe cutter with a small section of junior hacksaw blade instead of a roller) my workmate got one at the same time and loves it tho it goes through blades quickly. May be I didnt give it a chance as I find the hacksaw method easy and cheap. Mine was a kewtec one I think not ck.
Found a video of the ck in use looks more robust than the kewtec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcv6tH2wEEE this may help you decide

I saw a spark on a job using a half round file, he was really flying through making off a load of ends. Asked him why he used this method and he said the file was more sturdy to use, the angle of the metal construction of the file meant it exposed the armourings to see that all were adequately scored, he found the armouring was cut neater and last but not least he finds it quicker. I tried it and believe me I'm now a convert.

Still got the same wooden handled Eclipse junior hacksaw I was issued with as an apprentice. God alone knows how many cables its been used on.
I just couldn’t get used to the plastic handled frames, they don’t feel right.
Nor can I cope with these stupid electricians knives, I’ve been using a Stanley or my preferred weapon of choice a Tyzak retractable knife, since being an apprentice.

I have one, they are a useful tool make the ends off nice and neat and damn useful when working in confined spaces where you can't get your junior hacksaw in.

if it is tight space then ill use a cut down hacksaw blade. can get in much tighter spots.

or the easier method gland it first then bring it into position

I use an adjustable pipe cutter from the plumbers box, does up to 70mm four core comfortably and quickly and neatly and what more it cost me Nowt ;-)

When I was at Elex a tool rep was telling me that the NWS cable shears will both cut and score smaller sizes of armoureds, which sounds pretty cool, but then it only takes moments with a junior anyway so I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon.

Reply to Swa methods (trying again)) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock