Discuss Switch / Socket Faceplate screw covers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mds1256

Hi

I have a new build house and the switch / socket face plates have screw covers. Some of these have fell out and would like to replace them, any idea where I could get them or what they are called.

I have no idea what brand the sockets / switches are as there is no branding on them, should I remove one and see if there is a brand on the inside of them?

Thanks in advance

Maybe you can attach a photo of the sockets and switches.

Hi

I have a new build house and the switch / socket face plates have screw covers. Some of these have fell out and would like to replace them, any idea where I could get them or what they are called.

I have no idea what brand the sockets / switches are as there is no branding on them, should I remove one and see if there is a brand on the inside of them?

Thanks in advance

That's quite strange that they fell out. Standard screws are M3.5

Most of them are 3.5mm domed, countersunk machine screws but you get some odd ones as well especially with upmarket plates like Gira, Lutron or Legrand etc.

I presume you mean the screw covers have fallen off, and there is no problem with the screws themselves.

Now some brands of sockets/switches come with extra covers.
For example, LAP, you always get 3 of the screw covers, loose in a bag, I tend to give the spares to customers.
And BG (British General) often come with 4 covers (so 2 spares), loosely fixed to the back of the socket/switch plate.
So it is worth opening up a socket (with the power off) and checking if there are any spares behind the faceplate (I leave the spares in place there).

I presume you mean the screw covers have fallen off, and there is no problem with the screws themselves.
You're probably right, I though it was the screws themselves but thinking about it the chances of them 'falling off' would be slim.

Hi, sorry, yes the screw covers have fell out and not the screws :)

The sockets look like this:

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/bnBYjsN.jpg

I don't recognise this one, it looks a bit like BG Nexus, but the switches are the wrong spacing, so it's likely not. Either look behind the faceplate, or all your neighbours will likely have the same, one of them might know and even know where to get covers from.

or just get some white blu-tac.

Ok just took a face place off and it's DETA, both switches and socket.

looked on ebay and can see some screw covers but they are a grey colour so won't match the White.

any idea where I could get some
white ones from?

Hi

thanks, will these ones fit though, I just typed in deta screw cover but didn't see many results lol.

cheers

Thanks

i have dropped them an email as the same ones on eBay with the same model number are a grey colour and I need white so just need to check they are white before I waste ÂŁ10 as they are not cheap.

thanks again

10 pounds......for the little plastic inserts??? What are they smoking???

Okay here's a cheaper idea, measure the diameter of the hole or even remove one of the covers that's still in place. Get a tube of white silicon sealant and carefully trim the nozzle to make the hole large enough for the insert to comfortably slide inside, don't worry if it's 10% oversized, the silicone will easily compress a little when you fit them. Squirt out a bead of silicone onto a nylon cutting board or onto piece of plastic, rather try to find some plastic that's slippery/greasy feeling to the touch which will probably be polyethylene so which the silicone sets it shouldn't stick to it very well. When the bead has set (2-3 days) cut it using a razor blade into lengths the same size as the sample you removed. Voila, home made screw covers. When you fit them put a very small amount of wet silicone in the hole first using a pin or something similar. When you've done yours go to a friends house and offer to do theirs as well for a tenner. :)

...Get some Tippex...then concentrate on more important things,like the Flouride in drinking water you never asked for...:icon12:

...Get some Tippex...then concentrate on more important things,like the Flouride in drinking water you never asked for...:icon12:

drinking - water? a bit of a contradiction. i don't drink water, fish F*ck in it. ours is that full of chlorine, it smells like a public swimming baths.

Reply to Switch / Socket Faceplate screw covers? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net