Discuss Switching sockets and lights from plastic to metal, earth wire query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping everyone has enjoyed their bank holiday weekend. I hope this post goes in the right place as I've just joined. I'm looking to swap a two way light switch and two double plug sockets from bog standard plastic ones to stainless steel ones, the existing wiring (old colours) has an earthing cable going to the back box but the new switch/sockets have earth terminals in them. Do I just undo the earth from the back box and put it in the front plate terminal or does it need another wire?
The double socket has 2 red into one terminal and two black wires into the other and then an earth into a terminal at either end of the socket with an additional earth going out of one to the back box.
Am I right in thinking that its a straight like for like swap?

The switch is a two way switch so has two cables going into the back box, two red wires out of one cable go to the L1 and L2 terminals and a red wire and earth sleeved wire come out of the other cable going to the common terminal and back box earth respectively.
Again is this just a straight swap and put the earth sleeved wire into the earth terminal on the metal face plate?.

Hopefully I've explained this in a way that can be understood as I'm mechanical trained and don't normally have anything to do with this dodgy electric stuff! ?

As a small addition is there a survey that can be done to examine the wiring with regards to whether the house needs rewiring as I've had a couple of sockets fail and some lights have stared flickering occasionally, however they had new bulbs in not long since, although I'm inclined to think the wires may be getting stretched as I've fitted new metal shades to them.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing some wisdom lol.

Do I just undo the earth from the back box and put it in the front plate terminal or does it need another wire?
Either put the wire to the front plate, or run a separate earth wire from back box to front plate.
The double socket has 2 red into one terminal and two black wires into the other and then an earth into a terminal at either end of the socket with an additional earth going out of one to the back box.
Am I right in thinking that its a straight like for like swap?
Yes
The switch is a two way switch so has two cables going into the back box, two red wires out of one cable go to the L1 and L2 terminals and a red wire and earth sleeved wire come out of the other cable going to the common terminal and back box earth respectively.
Again is this just a straight swap and put the earth sleeved wire into the earth terminal on the metal face plate?.
Yes

As an aside. Take a photo of any switch wiring before you disconnect anything. Sometimes there are strange ways of doing wiring.

As a small addition is there a survey that can be done to examine the wiring with regards to whether the house needs rewiring
Yes. Find a competent electrician and ask for an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report.)
The electrician will check the installation, including some tests, and will list anything that is dangerous, or needs attention. The report will advise what remedial work is necessary.

Is this right? One of the cables doesn’t have a earth wire through it?

maybe he just dodn'tmention it.that sounds like a twin red switch wire. should have a cpc.

There is no requirement for any cable to contain a CPC, only that there is a CPC present at every point in a circuit.
agreed but as that switch wire is probably the only cable to the switch, the cpc must be in that, unless derived from elsewhere.

The twin red being connected to L1 and L2 of a 2 way switch suggests these are the strappers.

if all cables go to a joint box, then yes there will be a cpc at each point, but if the twin red without cpc goes directly to another switch, then onto the light…
But then the light may have a black and cpc, which may be continued down to the other switch……

I’ve confused myself now.

The twin red being connected to L1 and L2 of a 2 way switch suggests these are the strappers.

if all cables go to a joint box, then yes there will be a cpc at each point, but if the twin red without cpc goes directly to another switch, then onto the light…
But then the light may have a black and cpc, which may be continued down to the other switch……

I’ve confused myself now.
Yes this is probably how it was wired, using a black and CPC at the light points. Very common method in some parts of the country.

Hi Everyone, thanks to everyone who's replied, this is the switch in question, I believe it does go to a jointing box in the loft. So am I correct in saying that earth sleeved wire just goes into the earth terminal that's on the new face plate and the red wires are like for like swaps.?
lswitch.png

Hi Everyone, thanks to everyone who's replied, this is the switch in question, I believe it does go to a jointing box in the loft. So am I correct in saying that earth sleeved wire just goes into the earth terminal that's on the new face plate and the red wires are like for like swaps.?
View attachment 89456
yes. earthing the metal faceplate is mandatory, and as the lugs are plastic, i would add a fly lead to the back box, or leave existing where it is and fly lead to faceplate.

If you can post your approximate location (city, etc, not full address) there might be someone on here that can do a EICR for you.

The sort of things they would be looking out for are covered in the Best Practice Guide #4 available for free here:

If you can post your approximate location (city, etc, not full address) there might be someone on here that can do a EICR for you.

The sort of things they would be looking out for are covered in the Best Practice Guide #4 available for free here:

Reply to Switching sockets and lights from plastic to metal, earth wire query. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net