Discuss Testing a fixed wall heater in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gdrms

I realise that pat testing a fixed appliance such as a wall heater is necessary. Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to go about this? I assume I would have to disconnect the appliance from it's fused outlet and temporarily wire it to a breakout box, or similar, as mentioned in a previous thread but does this not go beyond what is expected?

The clue is in the title...PAT....'portable appliance'....a hard wired fixed heater would normally be inspected and tested as part of a PIR rather than a PAT test.

Wirepuller is spot on , i would like to add ive been asked to PAT test fixed items , so what i have done is invested in a safe block , disconnected from the spure etc and tested it like that , then reconnected ,the only problem then is you have to test to ensure that the CPC integrety is still there once connected back up so cab be a pain

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Nickblake, by safe block do you mean breakout box as described previously (is there one commercially available or do I have to make one?) and how would I do the cpc integrity?

The fixed appliances fall between a PIR and PAT and therefore are rarely tested in my experience.
A Periodic Inspection Report starts and ends at the fixed wiring-you would not start dismantling the clients connected equipment!

We offer this as a separate package, pointing out the clients obligations in the Code Of Practice For The In-Service Inspection Of Electrical Equipment, also pointing out that the intervals on these tests can roughly be brought in-line with the PIR interval due to the less arduous conditions of use.

Thanks again all. Just a thought - would a fixed wall heater with a 13 amp plug attached be considered as fixed or portable? And finally, what is the correct way to check the cpc integrity? Would an ohmeter be sufficient?

I agree with Michelle, Portable Appliance Testing is a complete misnomer, it should really be called Electrical Equipment Testing.
PAT covers anything portable, moveable, some other things(can't remember the terms, haven't got the book) and equipment that is connected to an electrical installation, eg cookers, heaters etc wired into fcus

You need to read the IET book 'Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment '
Code of Practice - The IET

I agree - "PAT testing" is just a lazy name for it so shouldn't dictate what it does and doesn't cover.
The official name for it is "In service inspection and testing of electrical equipment" and covers all types of electrical equipment whether or not it's been stuck on the wall.

... And yes, all the answers are in the book.

Ok fella's...appears I got that one wrong...although I have to say on pat tests I only test appliances with a plug on (ie portable)....and on PIR's I inspect (and test where practical) fixed hard wired equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This falls under the "In service testing and inspection of electrical equipment". It is fresh in my mind because i spent 3 days last week doing the C&G courses.

The procedure is as follows.
Disconnect to circuit supplying the appliance outlet. ensure no one can re-energise it except you.
Disconnect appliance from the outlet.
Carry out an earth continuity test between earth cable at outlet, and casing of appliance if it is class 1.
If the earth continuity test is fine, then.
Join the Line and Neutral conductors of the appliance together, and insulation resistance test these two together to earth at 500vdc.

It would be good practice to also test for an earth at the outlet, as this appliance if class 1 relies upon the fixed installation for safe operation.

The testing of this type of fixed equipment can only be carried out by an Electrician and not a competent person, because it involves safe isolation and work on the fixed installation. A competent person can only carry out testing to appliances fitted with a plug, and visual inspection of the outlet supplying it.

Cheers..........Howard

In these hard times if someone is offering cold hard cash for a service shouldn't we tear there arm off? I'll PAT test there dog if they're paying me!!! (I sorry for my standards having slipped)

In these hard times if someone is offering cold hard cash for a service shouldn't we tear there arm off? I'll PAT test there dog if they're paying me!!! (I sorry for my standards having slipped)

Hang on, this isn't some dodgy sideline, as I stated earlier, fixed appliances have traditionally fallen inbetween a PIR and PAT and therefore mostly never get tested.

That's why it's important to have a copy of the In Service Guide that I keep banging on about, the requirements are all listed there, along with recommended procedures and intervals.

Is anyone telling me that on a PIR they'll be dismantling fan convector heaters, canopy extracts etc right down to their terminal blocks to carry out these tests as part of the PIR price?

On a PIR, we charge half a circuit price per fixed appliance, if we do an office with 200 circuits, there can easily be 50 fixed appliances on top of that.

Sorry. Yes try the purple book, The IEE code of practice for In-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment, 3rd edition. There is a paragraph, section 5.5 Fixed equipment or appliances. (central heating boiler, hand dryer, A/C unit, bathroom heater, towel rail, immersion heater, the list goes on, no dog though!)

Reply to Testing a fixed wall heater in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net