Discuss testing RCD adaptors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hubsy

I'm sure there must be, but what are the regulations covering testing portable RCD.

pushing the test button breaks the circuit, but has it broken fast enough to avoid dangerous voltages.

Exactly the same test method as testing a fixed RCD or RCBO.

I wish it was that simple, I would like a 6month or yearly test. but all company says is 'if it trips on the test button, that's good enough'...

I don't have access to an rcd tester.

I wish it was that simple, I would like a 6month or yearly test. but all company says is 'if it trips on the test button, that's good enough'...

I don't have access to an rcd tester.

If the RCD is installed for additional protection then it must be subject to full testing. GN3 page 58 if you don't have access to an RCD tester then I think you should get one.

Show your bosses page 58 GN3 and then ask them how they propose to test the RCD's

So what you are saying is that you are a PAT tester and your company will not buy an RCD tester even although you are required to do this test mmmmmmmmmmmm sounds about right

Yep. work for a company of ?

Yea or maybe the run of the mill PAT company who disregard any rules plus the old the customer did not want the RCD tested speech.
Thank God I only do occasional PAT or as it should be know ISI&TEE

Last edited by a moderator:
little story about this company.
I've been PAT testing for 20 years, or so it seams. passed c&g and management test.

had to attend a company run course last year. c&g tester. passed, took all of 10 mins on test.
anyway, 60% failed.
so company bought in another outside company, their way of exam test was to keep taking the test until the individuals passed.no c&g, just a competence certificate.
some still failed.

now what do you call this company?
nothing printable..

Reply to testing RCD adaptors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net