Discuss The Arcing Neutral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Why do the Neutral connections seem to burn out more than the line?

Is it because the Neutral collects more debris, harmonics and all sorts of junk like that?

It seems that the Neutral conductor connections are the ones to watch and I am not sure why.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Probably people are more diligent on tightening up the line (cos it is dangerous) and not the neutral because there is no voltage on that!

Not really a good answer but cannot really see a effective difference between the two same current in each case but as you say normally the neutral.

Probably people are more diligent on tightening up the line (cos it is dangerous) and not the neutral because there is no voltage on that!

Not really a good answer but cannot really see a effective difference between the two same current in each case but as you say normally the neutral.

That's what I was thinking but didn't dare post it!

Interesting question though.

Yes that is interesting

I went to a job the other day where upstairs lights had gone out, all lights were on one circuit however downstairs still working, anyhow i had a look in the db and to my horror there was 5 cables into the one mcb, and not one was caught tight in the terminal they were purely sat in the back of the mcb

Had been like that for years and not one sign of burning/arcing etc

With three phase systems and dirty neutrals much more emphasis must be placed on neutral continuity.

By dirty I mean.
Switch mode power supplies
VSD’s

It just gets worse the more I think of it.

Gone are the days of 3½ core cable. Now 4 core or even 3&1.5N core are specified.

Progress at what price?

surely if there isn`t a voltage on the neutral then you can get inert currents just sitting there=heat buildup....and in time the difference in expansion and contraction rates of copper V brass/steel will have the effect of causing loose neutrals......but whenever i am terminating multi-stranded conductors....such as tails etc...when i have tightened the terminations....i always manipulate the cable a bit.....usually wants to nip up again after that.....

Reply to The Arcing Neutral in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net