Discuss The "Pinch method of stripping twin and earth cable" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It sounds like a lot of these college lecturers need to come into the 21st century, why anyone would use a knife is beyond me when dedicated stripping tools are available and twice the speed.

Obviously, never worked on site, in the real world, pinch method my foot
[automerge]1579103958[/automerge]
It sounds like a lot of these college lecturers need to come into the 21st century, why anyone would use a knife is beyond me when dedicated stripping tools are available and twice the speed.
Please tell or show me how you would strip T & E of it's outer sheath with one of these expensive stripping tools, I really would be interested and converted in my methods if you could show me how. In the real world I'll stick with my folding Pen knife. like I was taught when I wer a Lad.
[automerge]1579104478[/automerge]
Repeat show me how it will be quicker Mike
[automerge]1579104654[/automerge]
How will you get the jaws of these strippers to the point where the T&E enters the box or enclosure to make a neat entrance??????/

Last edited:
Obviously, never worked on site, in the real world, pinch method my foot
[automerge]1579103958[/automerge]

Please tell or show me how you would strip T & E of it's outer sheath with one of these expensive stripping tools, I really would be interested and converted in my methods if you could show me how. In the real world I'll stick with my folding Pen knife. like I was taught when I wer a Lad.
[automerge]1579104478[/automerge]

Repeat show me how it will be quicker Mike
[automerge]1579104654[/automerge]

How will you get the jaws of these strippers to the point where the T&E enters the box or enclosure to make a neat entrance??????/

Just try one and you will see how much quicker and easier it is, T & E pulls off the same as a single conductor, the two conductors left can be pulled off at the same time, so the operation is completed in two operations, I would estimate half the time involved.

Just try one and you will see how much quicker and easier it is, T & E pulls off the same as a single conductor, the two conductors left can be pulled off at the same time, so the operation is completed in two operations, I would estimate half the time involved.
My second question hasn't been answered Mike, guarantee I would strip the outer sheathing in, say a CU faster than you using a folding knife only

My second question hasn't been answered Mike, guarantee I would strip the outer sheathing in, say a CU faster than you using a folding knife only

I have answered your second question, in my previous answer, as too striping an outer sheathing you do really need to try one of these strippers to see how fast they are, anything that involves a knife blade has inherent risks that can be avoided by using safer methods, that is an irrefutable fact, once you have tried one of these automatic strippers I am sure if you give it a fair chance you will be converted.

I have answered your second question, in my previous answer, as too striping an outer sheathing you do really need to try one of these strippers to see how fast they are, anything that involves a knife blade has inherent risks that can be avoided by using safer methods, that is an irrefutable fact, once you have tried one of these automatic strippers I am sure if you give it a fair chance you will be converted.
I have tried them Mike and my considered opinion is they are there to catch the novice, you won't change my mind, been using this method since I started in the1960s if it aint broken leave it alone

See what you think Pete. I use one of these daily and it is easily half the time of traditional methods. The actual use is a lot quicker than the demonstration. My main reason for use though is it is kinder on my thumbs and wrists which I have long term strain injuries in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6unU6G54s
A joke Mate
[automerge]1579105890[/automerge]
Do you still have cross ply tyres on your car? :yum: and my considered opinion is that some old guard just don't like change.
If you are talking stripping the cores then yes I concede, but the outer Mechanical Protection forget it waste of space and hard earned.

Admit the CK type do have their limitations in confined space's, but the end on type you posted look to possibly being a solution, are the jaws wide enough for say 4mm T&E?

Reply to The "Pinch method of stripping twin and earth cable" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net