Discuss Those of you who don't join a scam provider, how do you sign off your own work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't think it's viable unless you join a scam. Building control fees are extortionate, you'll end up pricing yourself out of jobs; and there's only so much scratching around you can do with non notifiable work.

unfortunately, the scams have got it all sewn up and you need to be part of one if you're self employed and want to make decent money.

However, saying that, i'm sure there's others on here that aren't members and get by just fine.

It probably depends where you are as well, one of my local councils doesn't allow notification unless you are part of a scheme- reason being they don't have anyone with electrical knowledge in building control to check your work.

It probably depends where you are as well, one of my local councils doesn't allow notification unless you are part of a scheme- reason being they don't have anyone with electrical knowledge in building control to check your work.
That's probably technically illegal, but one of those things that noone will ever do anything about, unfortunately..

The third party scheme might have been one solution, but the way it's been implemented means it's rarely useful unless someone is involved anyway.

In such a situation, it makes you wonder why the rules are not implemented to the full....and convictions aren't carried out for the thousands of jobs being carried out regardless.......mind you, that would mean the council in question having to employ investigation staff to do so.
Hold on!....They could be the ones they got rid of in the first place, as a cost cutting exercise.?
How many nationwide convictions in the last 15 years I wonder?
Is it any wonder some don't bother?

They get way with it because the LABC’s are too busy to do the necessary checks, there’s an Eastern European guy around my area who advertises on Facebook and quotes £250-£350 for a board change, but if you want the certificates, he charges an extra £250 plus, so obviously most of his clients don’t pay for the certs. Then there’s another guy who does virtually the same, never notifies, but gets his mate to go back 2-3 weeks later to do an EICR (different company name) for £100 and he reckons this is legal!!!

My understanding is that it is actually the homeowners responsibility to ensure compliance with notification requirements, not the contractors, scheme member contractors simply provide this service on behalf of the client . There tends to be an assumption that if work is not notified or certificated it must be suspect, I dont believe that is always the case.
I am going to do a notifiable job for a friend this weekend, I wont notify or provide certification, friend does not give a flying @&%$ about that and is only interested in the quality of the finished job. He knows the job will be safe and compliant when I'm done.

My understanding is that it is actually the homeowners responsibility to ensure compliance with notification requirements, not the contractors, scheme member contractors simply provide this service on behalf of the client . There tends to be an assumption that if work is not notified or certificated it must be suspect, I dont believe that is always the case.
I am going to do a notifiable job for a friend this weekend, I wont notify or provide certification, friend does not give a flying @&%$ about that and is only interested in the quality of the finished job. He knows the job will be safe and compliant when I'm done.

I'm surprised you won't be issuing certificates. You could issue certs without notifying the job.

Being in a scheme is actually pretty cheap all things considered, it will Lao give your business another layer of respectability, The people get entire things done properly and safely and will pay the extra far out weigh those that want things cheap, just because no ones been caught yet doesn’t men they ain’t gonna be ?.....do it right and sleep easy man

Agreed. It's just when a sale occurs and the phone call comes along asking for a Part Pee reg number......like you say, it's via the contractor.

what about home insurance if there is an electrical fire...surely no cert means no insurance also if not notified then homeowner can be fined up to 5 grand

Part of the problem is also that most of the public don't know about notification and certification- to be fair, I've met a lot of sparks that don't seem to know what work is notifiable under part p! What are homeowners suppose to do if they find out they are responsible for ensuring it is notified after they get an unregistered electrician to do work for them?

what about home insurance if there is an electrical fire...surely no cert means no insurance also if not notified then homeowner can be fined up to 5 grand

Part of the problem is also that most of the public don't know about notification and certification- to be fair, I've met a lot of sparks that don't seem to know what work is notifiable under part p! What are homeowners suppose to do if they find out they are responsible for ensuring it is notified after they get an unregistered electrician to do work for them?
As far as I'm aware nobody has ever been fined for not notifying, or certifying where an installation is otherwise safe and compliant. Only when poor quality and dangerous work is picked up. And as I've already stated the assumption that no paperwork equals a cowboy job is wholly incorrect, as much as the assumption that paperwork equals a compliant job.

Those who sell their house where lack of part P requirements is picked up by a solicitor just pay an indemnity insurance which covers the new owner, which is around a hundred quid I believe.
Nobody gets hung for it.

As far as I'm aware nobody has ever been fined for not notifying, or certifying where an installation is otherwise safe and compliant. Only when poor quality and dangerous work is picked up. And as I've already stated the assumption that no paperwork equals a cowboy job is wholly incorrect, as much as the assumption that paperwork equals a compliant job.

Those who sell their house where lack of part P requirements is picked up by a solicitor just pay an indemnity insurance which covers the new owner, which is around a hundred quid I believe.
Nobody gets hung for it.

I still dont understand why you do jobs and don't complete EICs or MWCs.

Nobody gets hung for it.
They should be strung up, outside, with twin and earth and be left swinging for a week, as an example to other renegades....with a new regulation stating that all those ‘in the know’ must stick their tongues out whilst passing by.

Reply to Those of you who don't join a scam provider, how do you sign off your own work? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net