Discuss Time to do the 18th...... online in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all

Well, been putting it off, but I need to upgrade my 17th edition to the 18th.
Not been a practising sparky for over 5 years, but I have been unemployed for 6+ months and hatefully... I'll have to go back to what I know (well, used to).
Not ideal but hey ho.

Found a couple of online training courses (not going to a training centre... I just HATE that environment). I plan to gets the books, and bash as many mock exams as I can before doing the actual online exam.

But... wildly different costs and I can see why.

18th Edition Training Courses Nationwide (C&G 2382-18) | Tradeskills4u - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/18th-edition-courses-bs7671 is £499.00
C&G 18th Edition Wiring Regulations Exam Only with Sample Exams - https://www.totalskills.co.uk/course/18th-edition-exam-only is £150.50

Am I missing something here?

I have the 2391 testing under my belt, but never actually implemented it. So TOTALLY forgotten all my testing training. I'll have to pick that back up again somehow.

Probably going to try and get this under my belt, and then apply for a job with a company. At 56yrs old, I just cannot see the advantage of faffing around and paying some overpriced body to certify my work. Wouldn't even know who is worth registering with these days (I used to be NICEIC, but that got real expensive).

Any advice on the difference between these two courses would be great. I am guessing it comes down to quality of the the supplied training info.

Have you tried applying for a job as you are now?
They might pay for, or at least organise the training once they know you’re a good worker.

Many will state that they want 18th as a prerequisite, but they might be ok if you speak to them first.

Well I grabbed an 18th Edition regs book and so far sat through 20+ Youtube tutorials on the 18th edition exam...
They are not all that helpful to be honest, as they were made 2 years ago and every single page reference was wrong..... plus he kept saying 'Isn't that easy'.. No! Oh, and quite a few of his questions and answers were incorrect too.

Gotta be honest.... hating every minute. You can see why people just don't bother keeping up with these things. It's money for old rope.
But.... plod on.....

Well I grabbed an 18th Edition regs book and so far sat through 20+ Youtube tutorials on the 18th edition exam...
They are not all that helpful to be honest, as they were made 2 years ago and every single page reference was wrong..... plus he kept saying 'Isn't that easy'.. No! Oh, and quite a few of his questions and answers were incorrect too.

Gotta be honest.... hating every minute. You can see why people just don't bother keeping up with these things. It's money for old rope.
But.... plod on.....

Youtube is always going to be a mixed bag to be honest.

Been dipping in and out inbetween working.

Did a couple of old papers from here....

18th Edition - 2024 Mock Exam Online Practice | Over 1000 Questions - https://18th-edition.org.uk/

Got 94% and 96%. Took most of the 2 hrs.

BUT... Barely any calculations questions in either paper (if indeed they are old papers)? Is that realistic? I could have sailed through without ever doing a calc
The 18th is an open book, multiple guess 'exam' and frankly if the last time I did my update is anything to go by then my dog could pass it - so to anyone who was competent enough to sit the old 2391 it should be a breeze, cobwebs or not. Well, maybe not the dog but the cat I'd definitely put a shilling on the side. The exam gives you four minutes(?- I think) per question to look up the answer in the book, having already told you what the four options are. If you're hitting 90+ % already then I'd say you're absolutely ready.

And the only (easy) calculations you'll get asked will be to agree one of the options - eg, I don't know - something like "In a TN-C-S installation with a Ze of 0.20Ω and a circuit with a Zs of 1.11Ω, would you expect the R1+R2 value to be A) Pink B) Purple C) A Turnip or D) 0.91Ω

Have a look around your area for local trade training / C & G / EAL centres (often more aligned with plumbing) and just ask to sit the exam, you may well find there's savings to be had. I think I paid £50-60 last time for mine whilst trying not to get too distracted by a classroom of hairy arsed plumbers next door.

And good luck with getting back to work - we're always here.

The questions that tend to catch people out are the ones where a couple of the answers are the same numbers, but with the decimal point shifted one place.

Hello all

Not been a practising sparky for over 5 years, but I have been unemployed for 6+ months and hatefully... I'll have to go back to what I know (well, used to).
Not ideal but hey ho.

Found a couple of online training courses (not going to a training centre... I just HATE that environment). I plan to gets the books, and bash as many mock exams as I can before doing the actual online exam.

18th Edition Training Courses Nationwide (C&G 2382-18) | Tradeskills4u - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/18th-edition-courses-bs7671 is £499.00
C&G 18th Edition Wiring Regulations Exam Only with Sample Exams - https://www.totalskills.co.uk/course/18th-edition-exam-only is £150.50

I have the 2391 testing under my belt, but never actually implemented it. So TOTALLY forgotten all my testing training. I'll have to pick that back up again somehow.

Probably going to try and get this under my belt, and then apply for a job with a company. At 56yrs old, I just cannot see the advantage of faffing around and paying some overpriced body to certify my work. Wouldn't even know who is worth registering with these days (I used to be NICEIC, but that got real expensive).

Any advice on the difference between these two courses would be great. I am guessing it comes down to quality of the the supplied training info.
I am amazed you have been unemployed for 6 months to be fair, shocked even, I get hit with 20-30 jobs a day via agencies who are screaming out for sparks, never ever heard of a spark unemployed for 6 months before, why is this?

Hello all

Not ideal but hey ho.

you say you have been a spark for 5 years and have forgotten how to test already, my advice being very friendly and gracious to you is to try to get a job as a mate and shadow an experienced electrician first, clearly you need some more time in the trade before being allowed to go alone, I really do wish you all the very best.

Difficult to read this thread due to the sheer amount of ads! Two whole pages to scroll down of Ebay ads in-between each thread reply isn't exactly user friendly.

Anyway.... SO TIRED of agencies and their messing about. Had about 4 failed starts in the last few months where you take a job, they take your details and then the job either never existed or they then just ghost you... probably because they have now filled the position.
Unfortunately, I live in the back end of no-where, so my options are a bit more limited.

I think I have a full time position sorted with a local firm now

OK. Been doing a few more online exam papers....

This one has me stumped... (attached).

Now the answer is 27.6A. Therefore the answer I am seeking in the regs must be 1.38. 1.38x20A = 27.6A

But, if you look on page 95 of my brown regs book: 433.1.202 is says the adjustment is 0.725 times the current carrying capacity of the cable. Eh?
The 'help' under the question in the attached pic (which only appears once you have finished) points to this reg, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Attachments

• 20240304_161143.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 10
A correction factor has to be applied to a BS3036 fuse due to their characteristics of rupturing above their rated current. That factor being 0.725 and that is all the question is asking.

When it comes to calculations for a cable size involving a BS3036 fuse automatically divide In by 0.725.

Reply to Time to do the 18th...... online in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net