Discuss Todays botched Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So today I was installing an extractor fan close to a 2nd DB in a house which was extended about 2 years ago.

This is the nice new shiney CU (and yes there is an EIC for this!) and given I'd viewed the EIC prior to starting, checked the EFLI for the circuit I wanted to add to and I must say I wasn't expecting anything unexpected!!

New CU.jpg

So I added my spur from the DB for the fan, did the R1 + R2, IR, EFLI and then set my tester to test the RCD..... neither RCD tripped but the power went off...... So I ask the client where the other DB is......

Ah yes, its tucked away and what do I find....

New DB conn.jpg

This RCD is after the 1st DB, and on one 40A breaker is supplying the garage PLUS all the MCB's on the 2nd DB, and yes its underfloor heating (a few rooms), a cooker, a hob and lights.

I must say I'm surprised that the MCB for this lot hasn't tripped before and what about the clown who did this lot??

Edit: Yes that is 16mm T & E feeding the 2nd DB which is about 7 or 8 metres away!

I really don't know how people sleep at night - and yes, its a registered Elecsa chap and he lives very close to me too!

The Silver Lining

I've now got to do an estimate to put this lot in such a way that it works properly, PLUS I've done an EICR this afternoon on their soon to be buy to Let, plus the remedials on the flat too.

Thanks to the other chap who clearly is operating as scarper and run!!

Last edited by a moderator:
shouldn`t be trading..this guy murdoch....simple as......as soon as you start to take money for `work` such as this..you cross the threshold mate.....i`m sure you`l get it sorted for em though....

What I'm concerned about when you see such installations, is what have they done where their work can't be seen under floors, in walls and ceilings!

I'm ELECSA registered and know that they would be very interested in coming out and having a good look at this work. I'd report it, otherwise how is he ever going to get caught? Obviously need the customers permission though and it would potentially loose you the work if he's got to put it right. So I guess he'll continue to get away with crappy work like this.

So is that a 40Amp breaker in a enclosure with an RCD supplying that 2nd DB? What breaker is feeding the RCD enclosure? I love that cable tying those are some skills lol! Although not to crazy about the cable tidiness coming out of that RCD Unit!

That looks like a 40amp RCD being fed with tails from the meter or an Isko box to me. If it is an RCD not an RCBO then there is NO overcurrent protection for any of the cables on the outgoing except the cut out fuse which will probably be 80 or 100amp. Good skills......

Well if those tails are 16mm from DNO cutout then its likely to be 60-80Amp cutout fuse then this isn't against regs as 16mm would be adequate sizing. Although this should be noted on EIC that tails have not been upgraded to 25mm.
Although i wouldn't be happy with the connection into the enclosure.

Well if those tails are 16mm from DNO cutout then its likely to be 60-80Amp cutout fuse then this isn't against regs as 16mm would be adequate sizing. Although this should be noted on EIC that tails have not been upgraded to 25mm.
Although i wouldn't be happy with the connection into the enclosure.

Well spotted - the main fuse is sealed and is probably 60A given the age of the house.

Whats is the no no with hager board just out of interest, i've not heard it?
He has obviously decided to use the RCD unit to provide isolation over the 3m distance although i'm not sure if that breaker is DP, and then fed the following consumer unit with the 16mm T&E to the new CU.
Wouldn't the 40a RCD unit provide overcurrent protection for the 16mm T&E CU supply, although i agree that the diversity for the 2nd CU is probably incorrect. But surely if the cable is protected via the 40a RCD then this should prevent cable overload? And by the look they haven't overloaded it so far?
Not saying it isn't a shambles but does it contravene regs?

The armoured looks more like 10mm, without any earth to the armour! (although that may be done at the other end although I doubt it) I'd still like to see a lower form of overcurrent protection other than the DNO cutout fuse. I can't figure out this new trend of not allowing any other make of mecb etc in a board other than the manufacturers. It's great for the manufacturers but not so great for us. (or Hagar and steeple who between them fit 90% on the market) Just another case of a reg making it hard for us who comply to compete with the cowboys. (in my opinion)

40amp RCD is just the max current that can safely run through it, not the current it trips at. You'd need an RCBO for that. A 40amp RCD only provides earth leakage protection.

Unless I'm really wrong and missing something. In which case I'll be blaming the cider.....

The RCD does not give overload protection, just fault protection, it is rated at 40 A meaning it can handle 40 A going through it without overheating or such like

Reply to Todays botched Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net