Discuss Tone tester capability in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Will a tone tester be able to detect a break in electrical underfloor heating. I have used one in the past tracing comms cables but they were not under ceramic tiles. I am asking as a mate of mine has installed a bathroom with underfloor heating which was tested and left ready to use. Since then the homeowner has laid the tiling and is now reporting that the heating is not working. I have not seen the job myself, but have offered to visit with my mate to have a look. I will take my MFT to check continuity and insulation and was thinking that a tone tester may be able to locate the fault.
I don't have any info on the heating manufacturer or type at the moment.

Any advice appreciated

I am doing a job at the moment with UFH , the tiler has gone and got 2 kits , the warm up loose wire type , If a customer or tiler is laying the floor I advise on the 3 stage testing , but I steer away from installing it if possible , that way if the tiler catches the cable its not down to you , above all though I tell the customer that care has to be taken ...

Recently been called to faulty ufh job did all tests and found open circuit .did a bit of research and if you contact makers of mat they will send a engineer with test gear to test.
It seems they put a variable voltage through mats till break shows using thermal image camera on tiled area.
They then give you a report and the cost of repair can be argued between installers.if
it is found the mat is faulty or reason for fault is inconclusive its free.if not £460+vat.
Back to OP I never tried toner

I doubt it mate. Tone testers are ideal for screened and twisted cabling but not for unscreened. Are you going to use it to try and track where the break is?

Re post no2

When I went back to test the 2nd UFH the guy had a tone tester connected to it , and was switched on all weekend before i got there , its only battery driven so it could have run down , so it may be this tester has been left on and is now run down , I disregarded this and tested and all was O/K,

I can see finding the fault as being possible,but i would check with the mat manufacturer,if an "in situ" repair is acceptable,and what the procedure was.
I have seen plenty of repairs done in the past,to installed equipment of this nature,but only a small percentage were to OEM spec.

Reply to Tone tester capability in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net