Discuss Trainee Section - Low Traffic... Why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@essex ,
Do you mean a prefix like this ( screenshot ) if so then you owe @Sintra a Big man hug as he came through for you.

Screenshot (25).png

I feel that it’s quite difficult to get to the trainee section it seems to be quite far down the forum list. I’d like to see it higher, if possible that way it may generate more interest. I find it a chore to go and look for it and I want to help but it just seems that it is easier to post in the main forum....
Or maybe a big fluorescent button near the top of the page that takes you straight to the trainee section....

I feel that it’s quite difficult to get to the trainee section it seems to be quite far down the forum list. I’d like to see it higher, if possible that way it may generate more interest. I find it a chore to go and look for it and I want to help but it just seems that it is easier to post in the main forum....
Or maybe a big fluorescent button near the top of the page that takes you straight to the trainee section....

I know what you mean, it took me a full swipe of the thumb to get to it on the list, think I need a lay down. I feel like I've just scaled Everest.
o_Oo_Oo_O:D

I know what you mean, it took me a full swipe of the thumb to get to it on the list, think I need a lay down. I feel like I've just scaled Everest.
Some people’s thumb swipes
@GMES can you watch the forum like you can watch a thread?

The simple answer is the most obvious answer here I think. It’s the amount of data requested to access the trainee area. In a time where everyone is more cautious about who has what and the forum is asking for everything in one go. Name, address, in addition to course and study info. We all use forums to help each other and occasionally mock each other but I wouldn’t want to give out all that info on here or anywhere else.
Name, course, years to go or when did you start. That’s realistically all that’s required the rest feels like data grabbing.

The simple answer is the most obvious answer here I think. It’s the amount of data requested to access the trainee area. In a time where everyone is more cautious about who has what and the forum is asking for everything in one go. Name, address, in addition to course and study info. We all use forums to help each other and occasionally mock each other but I wouldn’t want to give out all that info on here or anywhere else.
Name, course, years to go or when did you start. That’s realistically all that’s required the rest feels like data grabbing.
Out of interest what data is actually required?

Your Details
Your Full Name:
Your Address:
Your Telephone Number:

Training Details
Training Providers Name:
Training Providers Address:

Course Details
Course(s) you are taking with the Provider:
Date the Courses/Training Started:
Date the Courses/Training Should Be Completed:
Qualification(s) Gained Once Completed:

That's all, which I don't think is unreasonable to try and make sure the person gaining access is legitimate.

Your Details
Your Full Name:
Your Address:
Your Telephone Number:

Training Details
Training Providers Name:
Training Providers Address:

Course Details
Course(s) you are taking with the Provider:
Date the Courses/Training Started:
Date the Courses/Training Should Be Completed:
Qualification(s) Gained Once Completed:

That's all, which I don't think is unreasonable to try and make sure the person gaining access is legitimate.
Why is the personal address and phone number required though? Just to verify who they say they are? Is the address/phone number ever actually used?

I've not been staff long enough to know, but personally I like the idea that this effectively takes away the anonymity that (in my opinion at least) results in some downright bad behaviour on the internet.

I would say we have to submit a similar level of information when we want access to The Electricians Arms or the private CCTV/Security forums, so I have no problem with it.

Why is the personal address and phone number required though? Just to verify who they say they are? Is the address/phone number ever actually used?
I've actually just relaxed the rules a little and removed the need to supply the home address and phone number bits. See we do listen :)

I've not been staff long enough to know, but personally I like the idea that this effectively takes away the anonymity that (in my opinion at least) results in some downright bad behaviour on the internet.

I would say we have to submit a similar level of information when we want access to The Electricians Arms or the private CCTV/Security forums, so I have no problem with it.
personally I couldn’t care less about the info I give it won’t be any regular passwords, my mothers maiden name or bank details but everything else can be bought of the voters role anyway so who cares?
I know though that there are some people who are very tetchy about giving personal info out on the interweb. Can see their point after all you could effectively be anyone.

I used to use the trainee section loads when I was doing my Level 2 & level 3 soem years back, however I then went self employed and wanted Arms Access so was removed from the Trainee Section. There are some who may be relatively new to the trade or are inexperienced who want to ask questions away from the cut and thrust of the forums but perhaps do not qualify as trainees. I went on to take my Inspection and Testing qualifications where Trainee access would have been useful and may considering doing my NVQ conversion and AM3 (never got around to doing it). However I am already running my own business so not really a trainee? Perhaps a name change to Training Area may assist?

Maybe they are not members of a governing body or insured and therefore working with someone else who'll answer their questions?

Reply to Trainee Section - Low Traffic... Why? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net