Discuss Undercut again ....20 characters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Pete: Never had any intention of falling out with you over it mate, got too much respect for you for that to happen. We just have differing opinions over this, is all. :)

I've usually seen it go the other way. Many a time when working doing local authority work have I turned up to schools to change lamps in fittings because the caretaker has been banned from going up steps due to "working at height" panic.

Spot on....there was a lot of that a while back. And not long ago we were asked to provide risk assessments before every visit to this particular site, and now they are doing their own work!
You couldn't make it up.
To add insult to injury on this one they have employed a plumber to carry out alterations in the toilet where the electrical work has taken place. It seems they are prepared to fry themselves but draw the line at getting wet.

I remember being at school in the 70's & 80's the caretakers seemed to do all the small maintenance jobs from painting and decorating, carpentry ,plumbing & electrical work now when I walk into a school all they are allowed to do is call in trades.

Bit different with us, our school caretakers still do all basic maintenance including electrical. But no capital work, that all goes out to preferred contractors.

It's at this point you wait for the job to be completed and you being called out after things start tripping :D

Poor quality.jpg

A point from the other side:

When, as an ordinary householder, you ask for quotes, it's very hard to sort out the wheat from the chaff. It's a few years back now but I remember when I had my house rewired. I got three quotes - one guy arrived in a smart new van; insisted on putting covers on his shoes while he had a look and subsequently quoted what I thought was a silly price. (I assumed that he had decided that he didn't want the job).

Number two, I don't remember much, but he was in the house for barely five minutes and his quote was the lowest of the three.

The guy who got the job was a one-man-band and it took him a lot longer than he had thought - I suspect that there was not a lot of profit left at the end, but he did a good job (I think) and I got a certificate to prove it.

It's possible that the first guy would have been a lot faster, or the second one may well have just counted sockets @ £30 each and added 50% - then gone on to do a decent job and saved me some money.

My point is that when someone says they are a qualified electrician and offers to do the job, all we can go by is a gut feeling about them and the price. If number two had turned up in smart overalls with a logo on the pocket, and spent an hour taking notes with a stubby pencil, he would probably have got the job.

Reply to Undercut again ....20 characters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net