Discuss Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

which is NVQ3 and AMT2

I know that, they are not compulsory qualifications though, so the straight out of an office and into the trade guy has been told he is competent with the C&G7671 and registered with NIC, elecsa napit etc will undoubtedly go for any further training that takes more time and money.

We recently advertised (locally) for an INDUSTRIAL electrician with industrial and HV (for cranes) experience to work 3 - 4 days out of 5 in a INDUSTRIAL fabrication factory.

Out of the 100's of applications we received HALF were from lads that had mainly 2382 and ELA Domestic Installer.

They were even coming to our office thinking that we SHOULD give them the job as they were "Fully Qualified" and when questioned the only qualification or experience they thought they might be lacking was the 2391.

Good Luck..... I don't have HV experience so I wouldn't even go near the stuff.

(I'm not Electrical Trainee bashing just telling it how it was, and I'm sure there were 3 times as many that didn't apply because they know their limitations.)

I may be starting to understand the new system that has appeared in the electrical industry

We have DI's who appear to be at varying levels qualification and competence having come through the quick career change system
Then we have paper qualified electricians who have spent years at college in their spare time but with little or no experience on the tools
After that there are the qualified sparks who served an apprenticeship and gained a lot of experience while learning the job and are still learning

While I appreciate that all industries are changing and evolving the electrical industry has had Part P forced on it on the grounds of improving safety in the domestic setting then it allows these quick training providers to offer sub standard miss sold training and is aided and abetted by the scheme providers registering every one and any one

I wonder how much lower the bar can go before it has to be raised to preserve life and property

Last edited:
they might want someone to arrive on time driving a bright sunburst yellow van, wearing a shirt and tie, do exactly what the customer wants without trying to sell add-ons such as bonding and rcd protection, then get the vacuum cleaner out and clean their house.
On this basis a customer might be more likely to recommend an 'electrician' who until 6 weeks ago spent 20 years working on the customer service desk in Marks & Spencer.

"That's not any old electrician, that's a M&S electrician.:)

Whilst I understand where a lot of the anti-Electrical Trainee rants are coming from, I think it's a little unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, just because they've not done a full JIB apprenticeship.

People keep talking about the importance of being able to do the non-electrical side of the domestic business (jemmying boards, drilling joists/brickwork etc) but there are many ways to learn these skills.

If someone has spent 10 years as a builder, plumber etc, they're already going to know their way around the tools. In that instance, a domestic installer course and a lot of time with the books would likely be enough for them to go into a customers house and do domestic work. Why should they be prevented from this because they've not got a JIB card?

I'm going down the domestic installer route into the industry myself. I've got yonks of experience with domestic building work, plastering, plumbing etc and an engineering background.

Whilst I understand where a lot of the anti-Electrical Trainee rants are coming from, I think it's a little unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, just because they've not done a full JIB apprenticeship.People keep talking about the importance of being able to do the non-electrical side of the domestic business (jemmying boards, drilling joists/brickwork etc) but there are many ways to learn these skills.If someone has spent 10 years as a builder, plumber etc, they're already going to know their way around the tools. In that instance, a domestic installer course and a lot of time with the books would likely be enough for them to go into a customers house and do domestic work. Why should they be prevented from this because they've not got a JIB card?I'm going down the domestic installer route into the industry myself. I've got yonks of experience with domestic building work, plastering, plumbing etc and an engineering background.
Its nothing to do with experience on the tools. Its knowledge of electrical systems. Anyone can put a ring together. The measure of a spark is when the crap hits the fan and hes got to identify a fault. This is where the electrical trainee wouldn't have a chance.

the only peace i find is that domestic work in most cases is easier imo than commercial and industrial if these Electrical Trainee came to the real world most would jack in i reckon

well a-they dont want too,b-and they dont know...
There are a lot of customers who would like to know what kind of electrician they are employing, many of whom would rather employ a fully qualified one than one who's done a 5 week 'crash course'.
At one point nobody had heard of Part P, but now the likes of Matt Alright BBC Rogue Traders and that Dominic Littlewood keep telling everyone about it so the message is getting through; what I'm saying is the same could be done with a JIB card - remember the card lists your qualifications and the JIB don't give out cards like sweets.

Whilst I understand where a lot of the anti-Electrical Trainee rants are coming from, I think it's a little unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, just because they've not done a full JIB apprenticeship.

People keep talking about the importance of being able to do the non-electrical side of the domestic business (jemmying boards, drilling joists/brickwork etc) but there are many ways to learn these skills.

If someone has spent 10 years as a builder, plumber etc, they're already going to know their way around the tools. In that instance, a domestic installer course and a lot of time with the books would likely be enough for them to go into a customers house and do domestic work. Why should they be prevented from this because they've not got a JIB card?

I'm going down the domestic installer route into the industry myself. I've got yonks of experience with domestic building work, plastering, plumbing etc and an engineering background.
It's about proving it though. Someone with 10 years building experience might be good at lifting floorboards and filling in chases, but someone thinking they know it all is no reason to lower the bar. We get a lot of people coming on here thinking they're automatically an electrician because they've worked in IT for 20 years, but it doesn't work like that - they still have to take the exams and do their portfolio the same as everyone else. While some may excel at it, perhaps because they've had practice on their own home, some will realise that in fact they don't know it all, and it's better to find that out in a college than when you've gone out to represent the industry in a customer's house.

I may be starting to understand the new system that has appeared in the electrical industry.....

I'm glad you're understanding it UNG, I've been hanging around this forum for quite a while and I'm as confused now as the day I arrived. I honestly don't understand how Part P which as I keep reading is a building regulation of some sort is touted as an electrical qualification.

To me the whole UK qualification system reminds me of calculus. I sat through weeks of it in class and it all went over my head, I was getting despondent and depressed at not understanding, then one day, for no particular reason the fog just cleared and it all made perfect sense. With the part p thing though the fog is being persistent still and showing no signs of clearing just yet.

I'm glad you're understanding it UNG, I've been hanging around this forum for quite a while and I'm as confused now as the day I arrived. I honestly don't understand how Part P which as I keep reading is a building regulation of some sort is touted as an electrical qualification
There's a qualification called the EAL Domestic Installer's Certificate which purports to teach people the standards and expectations of the building reg Part P. Idiots then decided to tell people they were part p qualified and the whole thing mushroomed from there Marvo. Fact of the matter is the qual is pretty much worthless to a proper spark.

I'm glad you're understanding it UNG, I've been hanging around this forum for quite a while and I'm as confused now as the day I arrived. I honestly don't understand how Part P which as I keep reading is a building regulation of some sort is touted as an electrical qualification.

To me the whole UK qualification system reminds me of calculus. I sat through weeks of it in class and it all went over my head, I was getting despondent and depressed at not understanding, then one day, for no particular reason the fog just cleared and it all made perfect sense. With the part p thing though the fog is being persistent still and showing no signs of clearing just yet.

...although both show a likelihood of tending towards infinity !

Reply to Unqualified, inexperienced badged "electricians" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net