Discuss Upstairs flat tails running through wall issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Have been doing a Re-wire on a flat. However have come across bit of a problem I could do with a second opinion on.

Basically the tails (16mm twin) going to the 2 floors above are going through the floor boards, then straight up the middle of the bloody bathroom wall :whatchutalkingabout

No protection at all, just 2mm of plaster!

I obviously cannot leave it like this, so what would you guys do? The problem i see is its someone else's supply!

Here is a pic (there used to be a false ceiling):

FF8D29F0-0135-4CA4-8B17-F730C6296A42.jpg

You should be able to see from my drawings where it goes! Still can't believe someone thought it was a good idea :confused5:

Cheers

Last edited:
fc.jpg

Use a bit of this, and for added protection epoxy a piece of 3mm steel along the horizontal plane. Not perfect but it will give it protection.

Not sure though the occuoiers of the flat will be impressed with this on their ceiling!!!

You are in a bit of a quandary there, if the cable is running through the bathroom then it should have 30mA RCD protection!
Options are to sink the cables further into the wall and place steel strip over them, move the cables into the "safe zone" by the corner (not good), leave the cables on the surface (very bad), take the cables to the other side of the wall (into??), cut the cables and deny all knowledge (do not do this).

Really there are very few compliant options at all; perhaps rerunning those supplies elsewhere, that I am sure the house owner would be pleased to pay for!

Really there are very few compliant options at all; perhaps rerunning those supplies elsewhere, that I am sure the house owner would be pleased to pay for!

Sounds like the cable is not part of the supply for the owners property. OP says "The problem I see is its someone else's supply!"

Hi fella,what is the nature of the origin of this supply,and what earthing arrangements are in place? ...just Richards comment made me think there may be protection in place already...

Thanks, the cable accross the ceiling im not "so" worried about as another false ceiling will be going there.

Its the one going up the wall im concerned about! As all it takes is for someone to be fitting a mirror and.....

They are fed from a 60A switch fuse straight from the meters.
Its a TNC-S system. So no Rcd etc.

I have spoken to the chap upstairs who didnt seem too bothered! So he is not going to pay to have it re-directed.

My customer is not keen on paying for it to be re-directed, just wants the cheapest safe solution.

I would tell your customer, they have have to resolve this with the owner of the property the tails belong to. It shouldn't be in the situation you've found. There's no easy fix here. Once you start doing anything, you kinda start becoming responsible for the situation. Are the properties rented, do they have landlords?

As the discussions go on I would be getting permission off your customer and chopping out the plaster to see how much slack etc and if you can put in place some steel protection it might be as is normally the case that they will not move!
At least you will have a bettter idea of what options are needed !

If it's in his property and is not his has no written paper work to say that prior consent has been given for it to be there just remove it and see if the bloke upstairs is no longer that bothered about it, you might get the job of running power to his flat so he can have a cup of tea in the morning

If it's in his property and is not his has no written paper work to say that prior consent has been given for it to be there just remove it and see if the bloke upstairs is no longer that bothered about it, you might get the job of running power to his flat so he can have a cup of tea in the morning

The above flat's Water and Gas, if any, will also pass through.
It will be mentioned in both flat's leases.

It looks like the cables were within a cupboard before someone removed it.
Removing the cupboard has increased the risk of damage.

Last edited:

Reply to Upstairs flat tails running through wall issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net