Discuss Validation report! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all,
I've been asked to carry out a validation report on a building prior to refurbishment.
What paperwork would you issue? As there is no standard template in BS7671, so I take it I'm to produce a bespoke report including sample results taken, observations etc.
Sort of an EICR but not quite !?

It seems they want the installation checking before starting the refurbishment.
Good idea, but still requires an EICR, IMO.

either a full eicr or a recommendation as to what needs doing to ensure it's safe for continued use. get the client to be more specific.

Evening all,
I've been asked to carry out a validation report on a building prior to refurbishment.
What paperwork would you issue? As there is no standard template in BS7671, so I take it I'm to produce a bespoke report including sample results taken, observations etc.
Sort of an EICR but not quite !?

I'd be asking the client what they actually mean/want. A useless VCR or a proper EICR???

I'd be asking the client what they actually mean/want. A useless VCR or a proper EICR???

They dont need either.
As the building is being refurbished no point doing an EICR as its due for rewiring anyway.
i'd say they want a pre design survey list items such as supply & earthing characteristics , distribution locations , containment types and conditions , suitability assessments , tempory , supplies , Ze and Psc etc etc.
no point doing any cable tests , its all getting replaced.

So is a "Validation" report and an EICR one and the same thing?
I would have thought the validation of an existing installation would have been carried out by the consultant chappies prior to issuing a written spec, where they have done a bit of a write up describing whats already in place and then what they want adding or replacing.

So is a "Validation" report and an EICR one and the same thing?
I would have thought the validation of an existing installation would have been carried out by the consultant chappies prior to issuing a written spec, where they have done a bit of a write up describing whats already in place and then what they want adding or replacing.

The consultant chappies would have to get someone to do it. In that case, why ask you. Generally, when it comes to our game, they are clueless.

The existing final circuits, containment and final DBs get stripped out. Leaving the rrising bus-bars and tap offs.
Main LV panel stays and submains etc.
I am going to take Zs/ PFC/ Phase rotation etc at tap offs. Cant isolate to do Ins Res due to other floors being still occupied and fed fro same rising bus-bar.
So EICR will be a bit thread bare really.

Ah, a bit clearer now. Just write a letter stating your opinion on the state of installation prior to commencement, including the test results required.

Reply to Validation report! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net