Discuss Vandalism in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PengEF

Hi Guys,

Trying to get my employer interested in fitting some PV on the offices as we use 200kWh+ of elecy per day and have a huge slopping E/W roof with a smaller south facing facet. I say smaller but it's bigger than my roof which has 4kW system on by at least a factor of 2 I think. Problem is the south facing facet overlooks a shopping centre car park.

Anyway they need the roof fixing and I am trying to urge them to look at incorporating PV or getting it done at the same time but they say it's not worth it as the mindless idiots around our offices would vandalise it all the time.

So my simple questions are: Have you found vandalism to be a problem? and if it is a real worry can it be overcome with out spending a fortune replacing panels or protecting them? I think they are thinking idiots would chuck bricks at them... maybe they are right but seems a bit of an excuse for not doing something.

not had a single report of a broken panel or attempt at vandalism from 500kWp installed so far.

unless you regularly have your office windows put through, it doesn't seem likely to be much of an issue to me, and I'd think the panels are stronger than the windows anyway - certainly we had a go at breaking one with a football (by booting the ball at it from close range), and couldn't put a crack in it, so they're probably a lot tougher than your bosses imagine.

Will lety you know, ... we've got one site where the Seagulls drop stones on them !!! (they used to do it on the roof , now they drop them on the panels! )

do they actually manage to break them then?

Not yet, but on a tin roof it is **** load when they drop the stones! After all the panels are tested to a 25mm steel ball droped from 1m high, only problem sonmetimes these stones are bigger, dropped from higher!! Of course the panels also are at 25 degrees, so it should 'deflect them', only time will tell.

Reply to Vandalism in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net