Discuss Vertical Consumer Units in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had to do this recently, so contacted Wylex, here is their reply

Yes this unit can be mounted vertically you would have to downrate the 100 amp main switch to 90 amps
and the 2 x 80 amp 30mA RCD's downrated to 70 amps this is because of the heat rise due to board being mounted vertically.
Attached is a test report for a NHRS10SSLHI 10 way high integrity consumer unit showing this information.
Kind Regards
Wylex Technical.

Julian, you have it the wrong way round.

We all know that gravity effects electric current flow, that's a given, but you are forgetting about the EMF ! The voltage is sufficient to overcome most effects of gravity within a consumer unit and so the main switch should always be positioned at the bottom in a vertically mounted board.

If it is top positioned, the combined effects of the EMF and gravity can see the electricity whooshing out the end before it gets chance to divert down any circuits. The exception to this is of course where the RCD is positioned at the end of the busbar, bouncing the electricity back.

With the main switch at the bottom, the voltage overcomes the gravity at such a rate so it just bubbles up the busbar like a fountain, providing power to the circuits and any excess falls back down and back into the grid.

Granted it's not usually an issue in a horizontally mounted board, but I do think you need to read up on this a bit.

On its side is fine providing the main switch is at the top and any lighting circuit breakers are mounted above others. Otherwise volt drop will become an issue as it will be highest at the bottom (due to gravity). So to ensure a healthy max. 3% on the lighting circuits, let's see those 6A MCBs next to the main switch chaps. And if that 40A shower circuit at the bottom of the pile is exceeding 5%, pinch the bus bar just above it with your pliers. A small constriction can be enough to reduce the volt drop (a bit like water being restricted down a narrow pipe). IMPORTANT: always knock the power off and wait 5 minutes for it to drain away completely before pinching the bus bar with your pliers. Alternatively, paint the handles of your pliers red and yellow as this combination is proven to repel electricity.

I have seen side mounted boards with the main switch at the bottom, but the voltage just pools around the switch as it can't overcome gravity (volt drop again). Important that your board maintains its IP rating otherwise the voltage can leak out and collect on the ground underneath (otherwise known as 'earth leakage' from the days when houses had earth floors).

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

also make sure you paint the mop handle red and yellow before you wipe up the 'earth leakage'.

I did actually tell a customer once that after testing his boiler, there was a significant amount of earth leakage. He told me that he'd get his plumber to look at it. It was only after a few minutes that I realised he thought I meant it had a leak....

The fixed installation is correctly selected and erected. Surely mounting a consumer unit sideways that was not designed to be mounted sideways is violating this statement that is clearly stated in the guidance note 3.

I'm really cr*****g myself now......honest.

Or is it p*****g myself.

Had to do this recently, so contacted Wylex, here is their reply

Yes this unit can be mounted vertically you would have to downrate the 100 amp main switch to 90 amps
and the 2 x 80 amp 30mA RCD's downrated to 70 amps this is because of the heat rise due to board being mounted vertically.
Attached is a test report for a NHRS10SSLHI 10 way high integrity consumer unit showing this information.
Kind Regards
Wylex Technical.

Hmmm, ...does that mean you have to derate Wylex vertical boards that use the same components??

Reply to Vertical Consumer Units in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net