Discuss Very Early type of Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter J

I have seen a very early type of surface mounted wall socket, and it is now not in use. It has 4 flat pins, all horizontal, and they are set up as a cross with one at the top etc. A photo has been added.
It may have been imported into New Zealand in the 1900's but I could not disern the maker. It could have been connected to a 110v DC supply.
Peter J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four pin socket early 1900's 198 (1024x768).jpgHere is photo of socket, note Crabtree (?) switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
got a collection of these Tony....and it wasn`t just crabtree that made em either...."landor".."clipsal" and "volex" made em n all......the one in the picture will date from the mid 20s..to the 30s....in fact, as far as i know they were making these until 1967....they have a screw on front with open contacts inside......

Thanks for that re maker and date. I thought it would have been earlier. I suppose it is rated at 10 amp. Have you seen a plug top for the 4 pin socket? Do you know why they had 4 'pins'? Polarity? or could be also used by only the 2 centre pins?
Peter J.

I remember a TV programme a while back, might have been Chris Barry, and it covered power supply pre-national grid. IIRC there were over 12 different types of plug fitments at various voltages, could be one of these but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

It looks like it could be what's know as a 'parallel and tandem' socket, designed to accept 2 different kinds of American 2 pin (unearthed) 120v plug, back in the days before people had made up their minds as to which standard to adopt; a bit like a VCR which will play VHS and betamax.
Combo-outlet.jpg

Do you know if the switch is intended to switch the socket on and off, or is it just a light switch next to a socket?

is the round bit in the centre a screw or an earth terminal? i've seen sockets with 2 flat terminals either side of a round E terminal. yours looks like it's designed fo 2 different plugs.

Reply to Very Early type of Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net