Discuss Voltage on gas pipe to boiler - newly qualified question!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am the opinion that ALL non contact "meters" are a waste of space............
look..it aint a "meter" ....isn`t a volt stick...and should never be treated as such....but they aint a "waste of space"....as long as you know the limitations of em...and always remember that they aint intrinsically safe and should never replace an approved voltage indicator to GS38....for the purposes of doing a safe isolation etc.....

look..it aint a "meter" ....isn`t a volt stick...and should never be treated as such....but they aint a "waste of space"....as long as you know the limitations of em...and always remember that they aint intrinsically safe and should never replace an approved voltage indicator to GS38....for the purposes of doing a safe isolation etc.....

Meter in quotes you will notice..... As for intrinsically safe ??? what explosive atmosphere would you encounter in a domestic situation?

5V between an "earthed" pipe and what? If the gas pipe has a voltage or pd between it and earth then the pipe isn't earthed, or the I'm guessing induced voltage would disappear to earth. I would double and triple check all bonding, not just visual, but test continuity.

They (whoever they are) say that " every day's a school day". Doubly true today. I've learnt that not only having a 3 week break then returning to work at full speed will make your back, legs, and hands ache, but also that the term "intrinsically" refers to explosive atmospheres. I should have known that with my fartypants!

get a volt stick, rub it very fast on your leg and hey presto......it lights up. They are not a true instrument and should not be used to prove dead or otherwise. Yes i do have one and they are ok for visual indication but really don't trust it. They can light up for many reasons. (REF: past 13 years experiance).
Plumbers........know as much as bt engineers and meter fitters at times!

Reply to Voltage on gas pipe to boiler - newly qualified question!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net