Discuss Water 7 Horstmann Clock in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Diocm7

DIY
Reaction score
Hello , I recently moved to a flat with a old model of this water timer installed. I dont know if the clock is set up correctly and dont understand what time should I put in the winter time/summer time. Can someone clarify it for me?
Also since the clock does not rotate but in the manual says that should rotate once a day and the off peak light is on all day the device is broken?
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_163331437.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 12
Right now it's winter time, so the current time on the dial should be set against the 'winter time' line.
Next Sunday the time changes to 'summer time' so then the clock should be set so the current time is next to 'summer time'.

The importance of this all depends on you being on a dual rate electricity supply (eg E7), and your electricity supplier actually changing the times that the cheap rate starts/stops.
You need to check:
if you are on a dual rate tariff
If so, whether your supplier changes from winter to summer time, or just maintains a constant timing all year.

Your timer is probably broken if the clock dial doesn't move by itself and keep telling the correct time of day!

However if you are not on a dual rate tariff, it doesn't matter, as you will be paying full rate for heating water at any time, so you could leave it as is, assuming it is heating the water 🤪

PS I'm ignoring the dark patch on the front of the unit, which might indicate something has been overheating inside.

And if it's not working, this model of timer, albeit with slightly updated appearance, is still available.

Just get it changed, and I would advise getting it done by an electrician… They can tell you if you have duel rate and if there’s anything else that that can see that isn’t quite right with the rest of the house.

The overheating is concerning. Get it changed quickly before that burns right through and staters a fire.

Than you so much for the answers. I will ask for a replacement since is already overheating.
Rental? Then Yes… get it fixed pronto.

I’d be concerned about the overheating. Might be a good idea to turn it off completely.
I know that would mean no hot water, but better that than this thing going out with a bang.

Reply to Water 7 Horstmann Clock in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net