Discuss Weird electrics in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Les M

Hi all , 1st post & its a call for help! Posted this on the TVR forun & someone advised me to join & post here?

Have this TVR Cerbera now for around 9mths, its a 4.5 98 & all has been going well until yesterday.

My own fault , I decided to clean the boot out, I vacuumed it & then I started on the top shelf where all the Black boxes are. I moved each one, the one with all the connectors in I managed to snap a wire off, I found out it was an earth & just fixed it back in by refitting a new small spade terminal into the block, all good it works fine.
Now there is a whole list of things that do not work at all? Its a long list so please bear with me
This is what I have found out that is NOT working.

Buttons-lights for the air con & rear window,Interior fans, Wipers & washer, Main beams,Rev counter, Ign/batt light, Oil light, indicator lights (inside & out) ?

Here is the bits that are working.

Rear Lights ,Dipped Beam, Fog, Reverse & Brake, F/Side lights,Number plate light,Hazzard lights,Instrument Lights, Radio, Windows/Doors & Boot, Starter, Horn, Interior Lights, Cigarette Lighter.
I have read all the google searchs today & can't find any thing on the TVR forums . So I posted it here & on there but they advised me to come here.

I have checked the fuses and they seem

Put the fan heater in there from 4pmm until 7pm, Thought I would drive it around the block.
Dipped lights on, first thing I noticed was the battery light is on when engine running, can't see that in the daytime, then as I am driving along the wipers moved to just in the line of vision & stopped, then i heard a chirping for a split second & realised that the left hand indicator was flickering on the same time as the main beam light?

Oh & the remote will not lock the car now.

What now ?

OK,thanks

sounds like a typical TVR to me. surprised things have worked for that long anyway.

Hi Les M

i fear you will need the assistance of someone, with some time to spare and some readys ready.

honestly, Its a nightmare fault finding at the 'coal face', never mind remotely, third hand via the internet! There is no easy answer, you need a pro in. In my opinion.

S.

Hi
No there was no it was an ordinary vaccum but i disturbed a wire as the boxes are held in place by strong velcro ,which was stronger than the wire !

tele trix I'm beginning to learn this ...the hard way though !!

Spartykus I fear you may well be right I'll try over the week end if it still has not improved I shall have to find a reputable auto spark in Bristol
thanks guys for your input.

Check your battery connections are tight.
Check main earth strap from chassis to engine/trans.
Check battery acid level. Needs to be covering the plates.
Chech voltage with engine running is 14.4v. DO THIS FIRST>
Have another look at the areas you disturbed to see if there are any broken grounding wires.

Boydy

May sound silly but are you sure you connected the wire you snapped back in the right place? Have you checked you never disturbed anything else?

May sound silly but are you sure you connected the wire you snapped back in the right place? Have you checked you never disturbed anything else?

I am with Resu on this, you may have and easily disturbed other wires at the point the velcro gives way when picking the boxes up.
An auto spark should be able to find the fault quick enough, if you give up.

Well the car is dried to a crisp & no difference?

I have rechecked all the earths , took them off & cleaned up th mating surfaces until bright reconnected.

The battery has been on an accumate for the last 36 hrs & shows fully charged, in fact its still on now.

I have been told that if the No 7 fuse blows or you pull it out the hazzards, the wash wipe , The main beam comes on ?
So I am going to pull this fuse , if the main beam comes on & the wipers then at least I know that there is a earth to these items ? I am grasping here I know but I have also been advised to make sure I get a TVR man to do it & not any Auto electrician as these are very quirky electrics, The thing is they are very expensive & I am not convinced they would be any better than a qualified local man if he had a wireing/connector box diagram available which I have on PDF ?

The battery is quite new ,still under guarantee ,bought it in August along with a battery brain that switches the battery connection off @11.8 v as I don;t use it every week .
thanks for all this great input , it is appreciated !

I have been told that if the No 7 fuse blows or you pull it out the hazzards, the wash wipe , The main beam comes on ?
So I am going to pull this fuse , if the main beam comes on & the wipers then at least I know that there is a earth to these items ?

Just like to add, i have done the above & the Wipers/washers & main beam did all work without me touching any of the controls for them?

I also bought a Gunstons Alernator /battery checker .
Engine on idle no load all good at various engine speeds like kicked in saying "Alternator OK", same again with all I could turn on & fuse 7 out same outcome - "Alternator OK"
??

I don't believe in coincidences, my bet is you have disturbed a connector. If there was no water involved, either above or below then retrace your steps. It is possible that a control module has failed, but more likely there is a cracked/dry joint within one of the modules and you have disturbed something that was only just about working. Get someone to sit in and turn on/off something that doesn't work (indicators?) while you grasp/disturb the wiring going into the modules. You may just hit lucky.
w

Reply to Weird electrics in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net